Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I am the buyer of one of the 1911 forum guns that Larry offered early this year.

The other guy who bought one posted a range report at http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/000101.html

My gun is a bit different, as it has 20 LPI checkering cocobolos (he has walnut), and we put on a new caspian slide. I would agree with everything posted by the other buyer.

I will not post a report for a couple more months, but let me tell you, at 450 rounds I am really happy with the way the gun runs, and it is beautiful. The Springfield he did for me is also fantastic. Every time I clean these guns I find something new inside that Larry did to it.

So hang in there and I'll post a report in a couple of months with pics. I'll have "before and after" as I took photos of the raw guns before sending them off.

Jim

·
Registered
849 Posts
A lot of the rancor that got started with the post by Desert Dog was because (IMO) Cameron Hopkins said some things in that article that just didn't add up to the gun Larry built for the article. Not to take anything away from Larry Vickers, because that gun is a beautiful piece of work, but I think Hopkins mentioned that the gun should sell for WAY more than what Larry would have charged for it. That is what started the 'value' thread by Desert Dog, and I doubt he meant any disrespect towards Larry.
I think the whole point was how much a gun like that would be worth, vs., what Hopkins had alluded to what it should be worth.
I could be WAY off base here, but that was my take on the whole matter.
Lou

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Lou.

The thread started by DD seemed to me to be directed at the work of Cameron Hopkins, not the work of Larry Vickers.

Now of course that is not where the thread went, but hey this is an electronic medium and things rarely go anywhere they are supposed in an electronic medium. . .

I remember that time last year when I was about the secure the deal for that plutonium and I accidentally carbon copied all the mail servers of the CIA! :smile: I dunno what I was thinking, wait, that's right I was just making a really sensitive smoke detector! :grin:

Seriously though, I look forward to hearing from all of the resident 'smiths.

Derek

·
Registered
209 Posts
It is sad that some things come down the way they do...

I think Larry is a very capable 'smith, and wish, wholeheartedly that I could afford to ante up with him, and many others here...

I can appreciate the the work they do, and would love to have the opportunity to learn from their "little secrets" left behind inside a gun any of them have worked on.

I doubt I will ever reach the level of craftsmenship many of these guys consistently attain, but would enjoy the opportunity to learn a little, and will one day, hope to add a few examples to my collection.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Congrats. Look foward to hearing more about your gun. I agree that Larry got some undeserved flame here for that AH article and his frustration over the Kimber he had to deal with. I hope he realizes that he's still very much welcomed here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
JiminCA,
I can’t wait until your post. I am on his waiting list at least for another 2+ years. My order went in before the article. Congrats on your new toy. :smile:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I have about 18 mos for my full custom. Got on his list when I ordered the Forum gun. It was a good warm-up for the ultimate build as we now have a relationship and he knows what I like and don't like. The feedback I give him on these two guns should really enable him to really get dialed in on my custom. Glad to be ahead of the "wave" generated by the article.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.