Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a Walther P38 that I do not know much about. The slide is marked AC41. The serial numbers on the slide and the frame do not match. The slide has a serial number 26XX and the frame has a serial number 24XX. Here is the weird stuff. The serial numbers on the frame and on the slide have been crossed off. The new serial numbers are matching and they are 55XX. The place where my dad got it from said that it was captured by the Russians in the course of WWII. Could you tell be more about it please? Also a DOB would be nice.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The gun is a Walther factory P-38.

During the war there were three makers of the P-38.
Each maker stamped a code on the gun to ID the maker.
This was to prevent the allies from knowing which factory made what, and sending bombers to pound them.

Walther's code during WWII was "AC".
In addition to the "AC" ID the guns were also stamped with the year made.
This is "41" for 1941, so your gun was made in the Walther plant in 1941, which is early production.

During the war, and likely after, just about everybody with P-38's repaired and re-built them, often putting "mis-matched" parts together to get a complete gun.
Among others, the Russians apparently renumbered them.

It's possible the Germans also renumbered guns during the war.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bundle for helping me out with this. It has been perplexing me for quite some time as i have not seen a Walther like this.
Regards
Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts