Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing one of these models. I know that they are essentially the same pistol but is there anything that I should know about either one? Are all the components the same in each? Does one perform better than the other? Any differences in trigger pull? I would appeciate all input Thx 8)
-Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
Walther P99 vs. SW99

The frame of both pistols is made by Walther in Germany, although frames for the SW99 application have a rounded trigger guard. The P99's slide is also made by Walther, but the SW99's slide is made in the U. S. by Smith & Wesson.

I've never handled or fired an SW99, so I can't compare it to my Walther P99 (9 mm), which I think is terrific and very well-made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both for your replies. I am leaning towards the Walther. Just like the looks a bit better with the rectangular guard. Though the warranty makes me think........decisions decisions

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is it true that there are P99s without the proof that are made by S&W?
There were .40 S&W P99s with Walther frames and top ends by S&W hence no German proof marks on the slides or barrels.

The exact number has changed over time but they pop up all the time. I'm under the impression the number is in excess of 3,000 units.

From what I've been told, ALL 9mmx19 P99s are 100% German pistols and only the .40 S&Ws were bastardized here! :(

A 100% German rpoofed P99 will have markings as shown in these photos on the Walther P99 FAQ by Dr. Ken Lunde. I took the photos a couple of years ago for my web site at the time.

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/5.html

Other S&W Walther/S&W P99 info.

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/8.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Eric,
I have also heard all the stories about the Walther being better than the S&W. All I can say is that my S&W99 in .40 cal has worked perfectly out of the box since I bought it three years ago. Several thousand rounds through it without a failure.
Delrin
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lifetime warranty is overrated, in my opinion. Some of the finest firearms come with a one-year warranty, but those companies will stand behind their product well beyond the one-year period.

While not intended to compare the SW99 and P99, would you rather have a crappy firearm with a lifetime warranty or an outstanding firearm with a one-year warranty? I would pick the latter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While not intended to compare the SW99 and P99, would you rather have a crappy firearm with a lifetime warranty or an outstanding firearm with a one-year warranty? I would pick the latter.
As would I. Well put Ken. :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
here in east TN, there's only about 50-60bucks difference in the two pistols. And for the bucks I'll pay the extra and get the Walther. I've shot both. The Walther seems like the delux model with abit more refinement. Both shot very good.
As for Warrentee, the way quality firearms and gun companies are today, if sommething breaks from just normal wear it's something small, and it's great customer service to replace the part for a few dollars. So they do. If it is something major, most companies want to see what happened for resurch, and these guns usually get replaced. So the lifetime warrentee is nice but not something I'd rank as high as fit an finish.
Acutally, the lifetime warrentee is nice in the used gun market. but will seldom bring much more dollars there. So for me atleast, it's which one I like and think is the best pistol, and for me it's the Walther.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They say that the S&W SW99 45cal acp is same parts as WaltherP99, so are there magazines interchangeable? I noticed they are hard to find. Thank you for any answers that my help me find magazines for my SW SW99 45cal acp pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts