Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a Walther P99 in 9x19 and absolutely loves it. He is a big fan of 1911 and Glocks and the P99 seems to be a good blend of the two

Questions:
Does anyone have thoughts/comments on a P99 in .40 S&W? Specifically recoil. My friend shattered his elbow and is somewhat recoil sensitive.

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I shot one and don't recall the recoil being particularly sharp. But I've never found any .40 to be all that sharp. Recoil is a subjective thing.

Put another way, it wasn't any worse than a G23. Maybe a touch sharper than a G22 or a full size USP. The good news is that you can play around by changing out the backstraps to get the feel in your hand that you want. If it sits right in your hand the perceived recoil will lessen.

The thing I couldn't get past was the gosh-awful trigger. Really awful. So different from everything else that I just wrote the gun off (It belonged to a buddy and I was considering getting one for myself).

Now the QA model may be better. Snapped off a few dry fires in a shop and it was more glock like.

G

·
I LOVE the P99; I have a Military model in OD with 17rd high cap Mags, lanyard ring, and Trijicon factory sights. It is one of my all time favorite handguns. I believe they are a step up from the Glock and even Glock man Jim Grover likes them, so I guess they can't be that bad for him to consider moving to one. I have the 9mm version and recoil is non-existent. I generally load it with Special Order Remington 115 gr. +P+ Golden Saber ammo in nickel cases and it is very accurate and I have never experienced a single problem with it. I also have the Streamlight M5 light for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, I'll bite :grin:. How did you get a Streamlight M5 to fit a Walther P-99? Or do you have a S&W SW99?

Regards,
James

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too, have the Walthers in 9 mm and in 40 S&W. I bought the 40 because i liked so much the 9 mm. The recoil with the 9 is absolutely controllable allowing very fast and accurate rapid fire. Double action is not very long, and with little practice you can handle it. Also, there is the possibility of carry the pistol with the trigger foward in single action. Also, you have to practice with this kind of trigger because is something really unusual, and the death travel is a little difficult.
The 40 is a really different matter. Recoil is and entirely different matter. For me, is sharper than anyother 40 in the market. I finally sold my 40, and the next week the guy who bought it experience a ka-boom with it. It seems that the development of the P-99 was only based in the 9 mm, so the 40 perhaps lack the neccesary strenght. Even the slide and barrell of the Smith is a little heavier than the Walther.
In sum i loved the 9 mm.
On little more thing, i experience, after shooting with other models, that mi trigger finger have to get accustom again(excuse mi word) because of the trigger guard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thing i forgott. If you pull the trigger in certain way (i don't know how, i only experience it), the pistol can fire in automatic (series of three rounds). I think is something connected to the percutor, and if it clean or not.

G

·
On 2001-05-20 21:54, extremist wrote:
Ok, I'll bite :grin:. How did you get a Streamlight M5 to fit a Walther P-99? Or do you have a S&W SW99?
It was not hard at all, they are not that far off and I really like the Insight/streamlight Lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts