Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Walther. It is a PPK 9mm Kurz, blued. No box, 1 magazine. The pistol is, I believe, in 95-98% condition. Can you guys help me out with the age of this pistol? Serial number on the frame is 242892A. The serial number on the slide is the same without the A suffix. Is the letter at the end of the serial number significant This seems to be a really well made pistol and I am looking forward to shooting it this Saturday. What are your opinions of the PPK, since I am a Walther neophite. Info and feed back on this site is usually very good. I am anxious to get all the info I can on this pistol.

Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gary, can't help with the serial number, but if it was proof tested in Germany there might be a proof mark and date code on the pistol. On the SIGs and HKs the date code is two characters (A-K). I have an Interarms US made PPK/S which I really like. I can get 3.5" groups at 25 yards with it, which is pretty impressive for such a small sight radius. I have a CZ 83 that is even more accurate, but a lot bigger. The .380 is a lot of fun to shoot. It is cheap and the blowback guns recoil like a bigger caliber.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Markings

It would help to know what markings are on either side of the slide.

I've carried a 1970's PPKS for years and been very pleased with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does it have the 'MANHURIN' stamp or the 'ULM' stamp, and is the Walther banner logo present?

It is really difficult to date Walthers on number alone due to badly/destroyed records and strange numbering system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PPK

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the response. The markings on the left side of the pistol are as follows:
Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.
Walther Banner Modell PPK Cal. 9mm Kurz
Made In W. Germany

Right side of pistol:
Slide
Serial Number 242982
Interarms Alexandria Virginia
Some kind of bird with an N beneath it (please pardon my ignorance)

Frame
Bird with N again IA and something that looks like a toothed sword (?)
Serial number 242982A

Barrel has the bird with N also

You folks are very kind to take your time with this subject. Hope this is helpful.

Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the IA is part of the proof mark- it might indicate a 1980 proof date.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a pre-1968 ppk, post 1968 ppk (both 380) and a ppk/s in 22lr. They are an absolute joy to shoot. I admit I don't shoot the pre-68 at all. I have had no modifications to them and they function just fine.

If I could I would get a suppressor for the 22 lr. I saw one in Las Vegas and it was sweet. But I live in California so its a no go.

Anyway, enjoy the purchase. One of the USPSA clubs I shoot at had a pocket pistol side match. It was a blast to shoot and try to reload quickly. Spare mags, parts, holsters are all over the place. There is a Walther forum somewhere you could join as well. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a PPK that was made here in the states. Thats the one I got. Mine's blue steel and it runs sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts