Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any experiences with these? Would sorta kinda maybe like to pick up a little pea-shooter in .22. Thanks for the pros cons.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love mine, but the slide would carve up my hands (and my hands are small). I had a beavertail put on it (cost nearly as much as the gun). Now it is my favorite small gun.

Richard

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Based on what I've seen locally, and read online, the guns may or may not be reliable. They seem to work better with hotter ammo. If you get one that works, good, but some just don't.

Most people who get one that's Ok usually had to search for a brand/type of ammo that particular gun "liked". One man I know went out and bought 50 rounds of every brand and type of .22 ammo available and tested until he found one brand his gun functioned well with. He then bought a 5000 round case of ammo just for it.

If you do buy one, immediately buy an extra magazine or two, if you can find them. Sometimes an unreliable TPH is cured by a different mag.

Since the gun is discontinued, parts are largely unavailable, so if it needs parts or service, you're pretty much SOL.

Get a reliable one that's in good shape and you've got a great gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a TPH for almost a year. Great to carry, but couldn't find ammo that it shot reliablely. It was accurate, but jammed. Got rid of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The magazine latch on my stainless, U.S. manufactured TPH breaks after ten or twenty shots. I've had it replaced five times and don't think I've managed to put 100 rounds through it. Right now it's sitting broken in my safe. For the life of me I can't figure out why the latch keeps breaking--I think it's a moulded part, and I blame that. Any one have any idea on what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Walther/TPH 22

I have a stainless Interarms model.Shoots well with hot ammo such as
Stingers or better with the Quickshok. This is what I wanted to use anyway
so no complaints from me on accuracy.Took about 100 rounds to break-in but no problems since on reliability. The one problem I have had is the
cheap plastic grips split straight up the middle(twice) and are too thin to
repair. Tried making some from Kydex and they worked fine but left
a lot to be desired. Ended up buying some from Nill Grips,beautiful
well-grained walnut for about $50 that fit like a custom made pair-
NO BREAKAGE!! They are slightly thicker but fit my hand (large)
very well and I am certainly satisfied. Earl's has spare parts for the
Euro version but not much for the American made versions-fortunately
most(not all) parts interchange. Walther should be ashamed of the
poor quality grips but this is more likely an Interarms problem-
and there is NO remedy there. Regards, Chuck Hunt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Walther/TPH 22

I have a stainless Interarms model.Shoots well with hot ammo such as
Stingers or better with the Quickshok. This is what I wanted to use anyway
so no complaints from me on accuracy.Took about 100 rounds to break-in but no problems since on reliability. The one problem I have had is the
cheap plastic grips split straight up the middle(twice) and are too thin to
repair. Tried making some from Kydex and they worked fine but left
a lot to be desired. Ended up buying some from Nill Grips,beautiful
well-grained walnut for about $50 that fit like a custom made pair-
NO BREAKAGE!! They are slightly thicker but fit my hand (large)
very well and I am certainly satisfied. Earl's has spare parts for the
Euro version but not much for the American made versions-fortunately
most(not all) parts interchange. Walther should be ashamed of the
poor quality grips but this is more likely an Interarms problem-
and there is NO remedy there. Regards, Chuck Hunt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fixed my TPH

In a previous post I mentioned that I had trouble with the mag. latch breaking on a U.S. made Walther TPH. The pistol I bought was one of the last ones made by the company prior to Walther USA going to S&W. Evidently the makers figured they could save a few cents by going with MIM for the mag catch, and this was a mistake. I finally got sick of my gun sitting broken in my safe and spent a Saturday morning carving a new mag. catch out of the head of a half-inch bolt. My new mag latch is a little beefier than the original, is made out of good steel, and will outlast the gun! Once I was able to shoot the pistol I found out that it actually functions quite well. No problems with any ammo from standard vel up through hyper vel stuff. But this experience has soured me on MIM parts and shows how saving ten cents on the manufacture of a part can turn an expensive gun into a paperweight.--Leigh

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw a Stainless TPH Interarms at a gun show this weekend for $325, and am wondering if I should be kicking myself for not getting it or not.
They seem to go for more on the auction and gun sites but they always start high.

What is a good fair price for one if I should find it at the next show?

·
Registered
45 Posts
TPH

That's a "good" price. I paid $300 for mine used at the Houston Gun Show
in 2001 and have had no problems except the grips kept splitting, so
I put on some Nill Grips that are much better anyway. Shoots best with
hotter loads like Stingers and Quik-Shok. Good little gun--too bad its
been discontinued!! Good shooting, Chuck Hunt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Chuck
I hope I can find it again.
I had a sterling once and since I sold it I have been wanting a good small 22 pocket pistol.
Not that I necessarily want the sterling back, as it was not 100% reliable, but then again it may have been the ammo.
I aquired it from my wife and never shot it much.
But I do really want a TPH.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well found it at another show this weekend.
Guess what I asked what he wanted and the price went up $125 to $450 !!
I asked him about "last week it was $325" he said I was stupid.
Oh well for that price and that attitude he can keep it.
We will see next month if the price comes down :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pocket Pistol,

I paid about $400 for mine new a few years ago. They were on a close-out sale. Be warned that if the MIM parts on a newer one break, trying to find older, German made steel parts will be difficult or impossible. This is why I ended up having to make my own mag. catch. If I could have found a gunsmith willing to hand make this little part it would have cost about $300 in labor. I wouldn't go through the hassle of making another one myself for less than a thousand! I see German made TPHs on GunsAmerica all the time in the $700 to $900 range, but that's pretty pricy.--Leigh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts