Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to let everyone know that I have been informed by my Gunsmith that I have been shooting over pressure factory ammuntion in my Colt Commander. I have a dent in two of my slides adjacent to the firing pin hole. A link to the original thread is below.

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... forum=27&4

The ammunition I have been shooting the most of, which is also the ammunition I have been shooting recently is Fiocchi 230 gr,.45ACP, FMJ. The Fiocchi web site rates this ammo at 875 fps and 390 ft-lbs of energy. Lot information for the partial box I still have is below. In my most recent range session I rented three pistols, a Kimber Stainless Classic, a Glock 30, and an HK USP Compact. With all three pistols the primers deformed into the primer hole. I will post photos of my slides and several deformed primers as soon as I get the film processed and scaned.

Avoid the following Fiocchi 230 gr FMJ 45acp ammo.

Lot Information:
CIP 014
4012025-3180

PaulB

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am not disputing that there MAY be a problem with this lot, but before you publically condemn it like you did here (and at 1911forum), have you contacted Fiocchi, or its distributor where you purchased it from?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-08-11 18:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane

Yes I have notified the dealer, and range operator, where I purchased this ammo. I have also sent an e-mail to Fiocchi USA. At present it is too soon to expect a reply. If I receive one I will relay that information here.

My gunsmith has posted some additional information regarding this situation, and his observations of the empty cases that I have shown him. This information is part of my original thread which is at the above link.

I have gotten photos of empty cases of this ammo scanned and I will be posting them here as soon as I figure out how. These photos include cases from my pistol, as well as three different pistols.

PaulB

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hell, do one better. Chrono some of that stuff. If that 230 is going the speed of heat, then you will know. Without a strain gauge or a copper crusher, you can’t be sure. You could just have a shitty brass.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom

I will Chrono the ammo as soon as I can arrange to borrow one from a co-worker. Though he is on vacation, so it will be next week at the earliest. My gunsmith has posted his opinion under my original post concerning my Commander slide. The link above should take you there. I am in the process of arranging for server space so I can post the pictures I have taken. From looking at the empties I have recovered, if the pressure profile is not high, then the primers are definately weird.

PaulB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.