Pistol Smith Forum banner

What .45 carry gun?

43K views 45 replies 42 participants last post by  ca survivor 
#1 ·
This is my second post, did not say "hi" the first one, so hi everyone. I would like to get a .45 carry gun, but don't know what to get. Springfield ultra compact? Glock 30/36, Taurus pt 145, Ruger p97? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. I know, I know Kimberkid. KIMBER!

#2 ·
This isn't too technical an answer but I don't think it needs to be.

Carry the gun you feel most confident in. You have shot all these guns right? If you haven't find people who own them and shoot them or buy them and shoot them before deciding on carrying the gun. If I were to carry a gun, I would be carrying to protect my life and the lives of the people connected to me. I would want a gun that I shoot well is 100% reliable in my mind, and puts the largest bullet I can handle into the target, and is legal for me to carry.

With all those rules one gun will fit and that is my lack of a gun. (It's dammed hard if not impossible to get a CCW in NJ)

When I am able to move I will carry a colt 1911 in .38 super. It meets all my above criteria. When I get more proficient with a .45 I will consider that option. As for a non 1911, I haven't found one I could shoot very well besides a Ruger Mark II .22, which would make carrying a 1911 a better choice. As for glocks they feel like cheap pieces of plastic to me and I can't stand them. I know others who are FAR better shooters than I that can't praise them enough and think of a 1911 as a Jam-o-matic and wouldn't trust them for carry.

It's all about personal preference. What do you want to shoot? Pick the gun that is comfortable to shoot, you are confident in, and you can carry it comfortably.

#3 ·
Everyone has different tasts and preferences. The best I can do is tell you what I have carried in just over 30 years of handgunning.

I started carrying on and off duty in Dec' of 1973 upon graduation from the academy. As soon as I got off probation I switched from the required revolvers to 1911s in 45 ACP. My duty gun was a MK IV Series 70 Government Model. My off duty gun was a '70 series Commander (aluminum frame). The model and caliber stayed the same (although I came to prefer pre-1970 Colts) until retirement when I quit carrying the Government Models except to compete in practical matches.

After 26 years of 1911s the third Commander frame cracked and in disgust I gave up on customized Colts. Since then I have carried either the Glock 21 or Glock 30. Am setting up a Glock 36 now for when I need maximum concealment.

YMMV!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave T on 2001-10-09 17:38 ]</font>

#4 ·
For a *carry* gun that you'll want to keep strapping on every day, you'll want two things: light weight, and slim profile. In addition to 100% reliability, corrosion resistance, and tritium sights, of course. You have to decided if you want a full size grip or not. I personally like getting my pinky on the grip, but adding a Pearce grip helps for the shorter frame guns like the officers size and the G26/27/36.

Best value and a great gun: G36 (need only nightights and Pearce grip)
Best gun once nightsights are added: Kimber ProCarry stainless
Best ultracompact 1911 w/ all bells and whistles: Kimber CDP
Best wildcard: S&W J-frame airweight revolvers. At 15oz to 11 oz (empty), you forget they are there.

Since 1995 my carry gun has been a custom Delta Elite (gasp!)with 175 grn STHP's. I have a custom lightweight commander in the works, though.

Of course, a carry gun is only as good as the carry method. I love my Kramer IWB holsters, but have several other holsters depending on the occaision, weather, and clothing.

YMMV,

SF

#5 ·
I`m a 1911 kind of guy,But I bought a Ruger P97D and it is a very fine pistol.It shoots sub 3 inch groups and has not jammed yet.All I have used is harball ammo so far.But after I break it in I will try some hollow points.The trigger is superb,both single action and double action.And for just over $300 you have a very fine handgun.It`s not pretty but who cares as long as it goes bang and you hit your target.

#7 ·
Roland: Welcome! Hey, this whole "which gun should I carry" thing is a can of worms. I do have one small bit of advice that might actually be relevant though - please remember that there is a difference between a gun that is really good to carry and a gun that is really good to have if you ever need your carry gun. I have legally carried everything from a beretta jetfire in .25acp to a 3" .44 magnum revolver to a 10mm colt delta elite and lots of stuff in between. The thing is that what feels good and comfortable for carry is not always what you would want if you ever need the gun for real. I carry a full size steel 1911 and it is no harder to carry than a glock 27 IF YOU HAVE A GOOD HOLSTER AND BELT. I'm 5'11" and I carry a 1911 in an IWB with just a polo shirt over the top, never been pegged yet. If you want a light, good, reliable carry gun then I say get a glock 19 or a USP compact .40 and slap some night sights on it and you're off to the races and well armed at that. These, and a bunch of other guns, are really good pieces of gear. My trouble is that I don't shoot them as well as I shoot a 1911, so I carry a 1911 instead. Is it a bit more of a pain in the ass? Yes. Will I be on my knees thanking the heavens that I had it if I ever need it instead of something lighter that I can't shoot as well? Damn skippy I will be. I don't know what you shoot best and what will fit your hand; only you can decide that stuff. Me telling you what I like along with everyone else is just us telling you what works for each of us. My point is that I want you to carry a gun that you can shoot really well with; because you just may be in a position to save my life or my kids life with it someday; and I want you to have the deck stacked in your favor before that happens. Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. No matter what you decide on - PLEASE, get a good holster and a belt (don't forget the belt, without it the holster can't do it's job right) and practice with whatever you decide on.

Again, welcome to the board. I haved learned a lot here, there are good folks on this board; I am sure you will enjoy it.

Good shooting

Jake

#8 ·
What I carry depends on the season:

Hot, shorts weather: P-32

Mild, light jacket weather: G23

Cold weather or anytime I can use a heavy covering garment: 1911

This all depends on your carry method of course. I happen to hate IWB holsters and fanny packs so carrying anything but a pocket gun in hot weather is out for me. I also do not like walking around with an untucked shirt. When wearing a sweatshirt of sweater or light jacket, the G23 is fine. If I have on a heavy coat or other big outer garment, I will use the 1911.

#9 ·
".... one small bit of advice that might actually be relevant though - please remember that there is a difference between a gun that is really good to carry and a gun that is really good to have if you ever need your carry gun. ....comfortable for carry is not always what you would want if you ever need the gun for real." Ditto. Shoot some action sports or a high quality training course with any gun you want to carry. You will find out what does and doesn't work.

#10 ·
Im with you on deciding which .45 to go with. I have been tossing around the ideas of a G30 or 36, Witness compact and Charles Daly DDA. So far the G30 has the lead. I havent had the opportunity to shoot the G36, Daly or Witness so I've been going by what alot of guys have been posting on different forums. I am gonna try all these weapons out before I buy one to see which one fits me best. I was hot on buying a Taurus PT145 but the polymer line that Taurus is putting out is full of defects. Alot of cracks and the rivets are breaking. So I will stay away from the Taurus polymer line for now.

Do some shopping and try to shoot as many models as you can and make the choice on which model fits your bill best. Be patient and find the one that you will have confidence in.

By the way, Hello everyone from a newbie on this forum.

#12 ·
If you go to The Firing Line and do a search on the polymer cracking and various defects on the Taurus line you will find alot of usefull info and pictures to show you what to look for. Alot of guys have sent theirs back. I was bummed out cause I wanted a PT145 real bad. Keep an eye out on the rivets on the frame. A few guys had them break. The cracks arn't as much a problem in the 9MM and .40 guns but the .45's are cracking around 500 or so rounds. I own 2 other Taurus handguns and they are great. I carry a PT100AFS full time and want a .45 compact for summer. Its hotter than all hell down here and Im worried about printing.

#13 ·
The Glock 30 and 36 are both good choices. The 36 seems to have a snappier recoil than the 30, but also conceals better. A compact 1911 from one of the major manufacturers would do you well, too. You just need to decide what operating system you like best.

If you like the 1911 and have the cash to spend, an Ed Brown commander-sized model would be a very good choice. It's been my experience that you definitely get what you pay for in the 1911 world, and you'd be better off paying some more money up front and getting a better product.

If you don't care for 1911's, the Glock 45's will give you good service.

#14 ·
...As far as choice...up to you. Try a LOT of them, of every kind, just don't limit yourself to a "compact" until you've ruled out EVERYTHING ELSE... As far as what is possible...I'm 5'11" and can carry a 4 or 5" 1911 in any season. I don't carry a lot of baggage either.
At 147 lbs, if I can carry one, most everyone can. The trick is good holsters and belts. Aside from that...I cannot think of any good reason to carry -only- a "compact" and nothing else...If you have to(carry a compact), then get a smith that builds carry guns to make sure yours is reliable.

#15 ·
Well, have you found one yet?
For the most part, I like what Jake said.
I really appreciate anyone who can make "Damn skippy" sound o.k.

I've got a 1911 Commander slide/Officer's frame, and it's not because I shot a bunch of different guns and decided on it.

I believe in .45, for one thing. (Not to mention many of my relaitives who kick my arse if I got anything but! - Vets.)
And the 1911 pattern is slim and tried.

The grip angle points very well for me, and it's easy to modify for one's preferences.

I bought it because I wanted that first single-action shot.

I bought it because most of the top competition guys shoot 1911's.

I bought it because it is beautiful.

I bought it because it was on sale.

THEN, I went out and shot a SIG P-series, an H&K, a Glock and a Barretta.
Cannot deal with double action unless it's a super-sweet S&W (circa '80's), not to mention that I couldn't hit a damn thing with the SIG.

The Glock is a worthy choice, could really follow up, what with the low bore line.
Bbut that trigger makes me giggle, and I'd hate to start giggling in a self-defense situation.
- wouldn't be right.

As for "jam-o-matics," well, I jammed a buddies Glock .40 within a dozen rounds, and this is his carry piece.

With my Kimber mags (Wilson's won't lock the slide), I've had about three failures to go into battery in the last 500 rounds, and that's always at the end of a session, hot and dirty (both of us.)
So, you might say it fails .6% of the time, if you ignore the dirt and heat.

Considering any action I'll see will only involve 15 of my rounds at most, I feel pretty good.
Even skippy.

#16 ·
Roland:
Read all the posts, these guys are on the money. I cannot carry in Jersey (it takes an act of God to get a permit in the rep. of Jersey) , but have often carried a sig 229 in .40 or the new sig 245 when on vacation in Vermont.
The point about the belt and holster is Key. I have used a Fobus or Safariland pancake and a "gunbelt" from Dillan. Another good idea is a concealed carry fanny pack You can get from a couple of vendors. Mine came from Brigade Quartermaster's, can't even tell there is a gun in it.
Everybody and his brother can reccomend a certain pistol, If your'e gonna carry it you have to be comfortable and COMPETENT with your choice... Chris

#17 ·
rolamd / Lennyjoe - I have been wanting to check out a Taurus PT145 also primarliy because of the true DOA capability. I have often wandered how any of PT series guns would hold up compared to a Glock.

Where is the Firing Line--I would like to see some of these cracks...

#19 ·
When I am wearing clothes that allow it, I carry a Colt Commander in .45acp. Most of the time I carry a Sig P232 in .380acp. The P232 is a fine pistol, holds 7+1, and has a pretty slim profile. It resembles a Walther PPK in more ways than one. When it's shorts weather, I carry a Kel-Tec P-32 or a Beretta 3032 Tomcat, which are both .32acp. Some people will tell you that .32acp is worthless, and I will tell you that .32acp is a whole lot better than nothing, which is what a lot of guys carry in the summer time when full size large calibre pistols are not convenient or comfortable to carry. The P-232 in stainless can be had for less than $500 and the Kel-Tec and Beretta can be had for less than $300 if you look hard enough.

#23 ·
You really, really need to shoot some of the pistols you've named, and those others have named in this thread, and decide for yourself. You're seeing firsthand how people's opinions and experiences can easily vary.
My 2 cents ...

If we're restricting this to just Pistols ...

Got my first Lightweight Commander about 71-74. Worried about the aluminum frame. Couldn't wear it out, but worried about it anyway, so I traded it for a steel Combat Commander. Still got it ...

Went through bigger & littler Colts ... still got some ... Sometimes it's like owning a British car or a Harley, though, because most Colts & clones generally seem to require a little more interest and owner/shooter involvement in their upkeep and maintenance. I've still got some replacement parts out at the bench I'm going to install on one of them ... when I get around to it. I do have to admit, though, that when one is set up "just right" by a smith that knows the business, there aren't many more no-nonsense, straight shooting, easy handling pistols available for serious shooting.

Got a Ruger P-90. Ugly, big, blocky ... reliable as the atomic clock ... still got it ...

Turned down a $200+ bargain on some import called a BDA in .45. Wish I'd gotten it ... Not because I think they're that great, but it was a turning point for European design with the US market in mind. Shot some good later SIG's, and some so-so ones ... never again felt the urge to get one ...

Liked a HK P9S .45 I carried on loan for a while. Accurate. Period. Ahead of its time with polymer composite frame. Didn't like it enough to buy it, though ...

Had a Star PD. Carried it a lot. Always worked. Suspect the aluminum frame wasn't as good as the early Colts. I was lucky, I guess. Wish I still had it ...

Shot a lot of Glocks. Still do, from time to time, at work. Don't care for the grip girth, grip angle, trigger or magazines.

Got a couple S&W .45's. 4513TSW & a CS45. Great little pistols. More accurate than I care to think about. Reliable as my Ruger. May find something they won't feed and fire someday ... then again, the way they've always functioned, maybe not ...

Going to get one of the SW99 .45's when they're certified and released a little later this fall ...

How can I recommend a specific .45 to you, when I can't seem to settle on any one, or two, myself? :roll:

#24 ·
My first issued sidearm was a Browning Hi Power, issued by the Royal Aussies in 1969, which I carried for about 6 years. I then upgraded to the Smith & Wesson 59 which I carried for many years. Next upgrade was the 4043, then I arrived in the US, and bought a Sig p220 and have carried one since. For deep cover, I carry a Sig p245. I recommend these weapons from personal experience, they are reliable, well built and do not break very easily.

The Glock is a very well built weapon, but not one I would personally carry. The only other contender in my person recommendation is any of the 1911 clones. most of the other makes have problems recorded by the many gunsmiths I know, many of which I have identified in my working with guns. If you want to rely on it, get one of the top 4 makers weapons.

Bill.

#25 ·
I carry a PT-145 with Federal 200 gr. EFMJ +p. It rides in a smart carry.
Why?
True DAO trigger.
10+1 capacity.
6" long.
Light and very concealable.
Accurate for PD purposes.
No cracked frame after 1,300 rounds. Been flawless. Very safe.
All I could ask for.
Have a USP 45f and still carry the PT-145. I will use the USP 45f for home defense as soon as I get a UTL, otherwise the little Bull stays on my night stand.

I have never seen or heard of a pistol this size and weight with the capacity of 2,530 grains of .45 ammunition.

Best to you.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.