Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
A fly that was stupid enough to take a stroll across a target. I don’t know if my 6PPC hit him or not, but he moved in a hurry...

That and an egg at 500 yards.

22 cases, gonna have to try that.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
580 Posts
As a kid.......Necco Wafers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah, golf balls with a .22 (or 7.62x51 for that matter) are pretty fun...sometimes you can really get them to go flying.

One time, back in the day, we were using saltiene crackers as targets at BSA summer camp. Nice visual indication when you hit the target.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The primer on a 20ga shotgun shell, balanced in the crook of a tree at 100 yards. See who could make the shell fire with a single .22 long rifle shot.

Disclaimer: I am stupid -- don't try this. Know where the shell is pointing, safe backstop, etc., etc., don't try this at home. Not for human consumption. Induce vomiting if swallowed, blah blah blah... :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
2" hexagons, 3" triangles and similiar sized misc. targets at the 220 yd line with our silhouette revolvers. Have also enjoyed the 22 cases, staples on targets, always have to buy more of those little push pins when playing indoors in the winter with a 22 pistol on the 50 ft. line. Watched a guy shoot a bumblebee one time.... pretty neat.... it was there.... it was gone. Watched a starling get hit at the 150 yd line with a 220 swift on my range one day thu the spotting scope.... just like in the comics..... poof and it was feathers floating everywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smallest target -- Staples at 50 yards
I have a Marlin 7000 with a 4x12 mounted on it.(I know it's a little overkill but my old eyes need all the help they can get)
While waiting for a cease fire so I could post my target at the 50 yard range I noticed that I could see the staples in the 1x4 boards where old targets had been torn off. I must confess that I could not resist the temptation to pop a few staples. (Please don't tell the range officers)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thumb tacks in a tree @ 50yds with a .22 pistol

Asprin @ 100yds with .22 rifle

Golf tees @ 200 and 300yds with .308 (I thought I was the only one to try that)

Vannila wafers @ 300yds with .300win mag and .270 Weatherby mag.

My favorite is shooting the tees and wafers. You can set up quite a few and have some plinking for a long time. The wafers are the best because they degrade fast.

I know a guy who uses rice cakes @ 300yds. He has hit them out to 500yds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my younger day's it was the head of match sticks [trying to strike the match] today it's the wide side of the barn.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Beau,

People actually used to do that? I talked to a guy who "from what I heard" was/is one of the top small bore pistol shooters and he claimed practice shooting matches to light them. I always thought he was jerking my chain. He did say it was about one out of a thousand, but I still was quite skeptical.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Shotgun hulls, bottle caps, and to entertain new shooters those small plastic bathroom cups filled with flour.

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Target push pins (the plastic multi-colored ones) at 100, 200 & 300 yds with 25-06, 6.5-06, and 280 Rem

Empty 22 hulls at 50 & 75 yds for my boys (10 & 12 yrs old) with 22 rifles,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.