Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.38Super Combat Commander. Hew! I got a box of same with the gun now I know its a good start. To tell you the truth I never felt unarmed with .45 ball. Is there a problem with overpenitration with .38s ball? Calthrop

614 Posts
I don`t know.I have not shot anyone yet. :grin: I never really gave it a thought.I only know it shoots good in my Commander and I have no jams.To me if you hit your target you can worry about over penitration later.Besides I don`t use my Commander for the home I have my 9mm Hi Power with hollow points for that.My other carry gun is my S&W 1076 10mm.Talk about over penitration.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Actually you should read the FBI test data for 10mm. Most 10mm JHP cartridges DON'T penetrate much more than .45 ACP or 9mm. Of course if you are using 200gr FMJ in that 1076 all bets are off... :grin:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/10mm.htm

I'll go out on a limb and guess that .38 Super +P FMJ penetration is way up there, probably well beyond .45 ACP ball. Assuming the reliability and accuracy are still there (always most important) I'd probably go with Cor-Bon 125gr +P @ 1350 FPS for self defense in .38 Super.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Interesting... I guess those JHPs don't reduce penetraion so much going through hard materials because they don't make them expand like hitting something squishier [how's that for techinical terminology? :grin: ].

But either way, you'd better not use .38 Super FMJ if you are attacked by huge cubes of Knox gelatin... :razz:

·
Registered
378 Posts
For practice, I also use the PMC. It's a great round IMO.

For defense, I use the silver tips from Winchester. Good value, since they come in boxes of 50 (so I can shoot some and still have some left from teh same batch)

I shot the Cor-Bon, but the recoil and flash seemed excessive. All 38 super rounds are +P, but the CorBon's seemed to be harsher. Given the old barrel, the "lightened" slide and the aluminum frame, I'll stick with Winchester and PMC.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I carry the silvertips and corbons for CCW.

For practice and competition I am all over the board..usually use a 124 or 125 jhp and Viht 3n37, WIN WAP, WIN 540, Viht n350, or some such thing for about 1200-1250fps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.