Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at purchasing a 7-45 LDA for work, but Im not sure how durable the system is. Anyone carrying the LDA out there? Is it working for you and what do you think about the system?

Aloha :grin:

·
Registered
581 Posts
It seems durable. I know it has gone through several upgrades in the past two years. Not that they are fixing whats broke, just making it better.

I don’t care for the long trigger reset. It’s almost like shooting a revolver. Then again, it is a DAO.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess the big advantage is still carrying a 1911,just not cocked and locked. I really do not have much experience with one. I do like the idea for law enforcment though.

Maybe, we can get some of the chiefs and sherriffs to let their officers carry a "safe" 1911 now.

The trigger does take some time and practice to get used to it. I think it will do alright for most people, especially those who generally use revolvers only, but might want to try an auto.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that the long reset is what set the system apart for us to carry. We used to be the only agency in Hawaii authorized to carry the 1911, but due to liability, that was pulled. This seems like a good alternative to those of us who REALLY like 1911s. Does anyone know what the trigger pull out of the box is? What about aftermarket parts like the thumb and grip safety...do they use the same parts as a 1911? Thanks in advance!

Aloha! :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Grip Safety is not the same as standard 1911. Thumb safety is pretty much the same, but would most likely need to have a smith "in the LDA know" do a fitting. Trigger pull out of the box is 5 to 7 pounds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Newt,

Im used to doing the minor stuff like safeties myself because I hate waiting for someone to do a 1 hour job in 6-8 weeks because of a tremendous workload, but this is a whole different animal.
You guys recommend any smiths out there for the LDA. Westcoast better, but anywhere is good. Remember....Im on an Island.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In2Deep - Ed Musaki (spelling??) here in Hawaii should be able to help you out, he has a very good reputation here. I can't seem to find his phone number but if you call Daniel Oshima at "Kaneohe Gun Shop" in K-bay he should be able to point you in the right direction (247-3036). But if you want a mainland smith I am told that Cylinder and Slide does good work with Para's LDA.

Good Luck!
Ross

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks gunner. I know Ed. Didnt know he worked on PO LDA, but Ill check with him. Thanks! Are you at KBay? I used to be, back in the day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: In2Deep on 2001-10-07 15:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree about the long trigger reset - I dislike it greatly. One of the advantages of the 1911 design is the quick (short) trigger reset. I recently was considering a LDA for a duty gun (dinosaur administrators forbid 1911 and currently carry Glock 22). Someone suggested a Double Eagle. I found one and liked the trigger feel and 1911-quick trigger reset, however I'm unsure as to the DE's reliability, plus, I think you'd need a custom holster made for it.

SF
"Freedom isn't free"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whats the point. The 1911's one main advantage over other more modern, rugged reliable designs is its shootability. It has a short trigger that breaks like glass making shooting easier. With this advantage taken away its nothing. 1911's are more fragile and not as reliable in harsh conditions as glocks,HK's,Beretta's and Sigs. So why bother with a DOA 1911.
PAT

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya See! These forums are great. You get all kinds of feedback. I like the shootablility of the 1911 design, and I am very comfortable with it. Im not real keen on the long trigger reset myself, but hey, I think thats a training issue.

Right now, I carry a G30 regularly, and a G21 when thing call for something a bit bigger. I am confident with both, and was the first person to qualify with the Glock when I was in the PD. Having moved jobs, I have a lot of options available to me. Any more comments out there? Looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Aloha! :grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.