Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Give me thoughts on Galco gear. I have always been real happy with their work. I have several holster, mag carriers, etc. from them.

Any thoughts, complaints, kudos, etc.

Mr. Burns, Mr. Alessi?? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've owned Galco Concealable rigs for a G17 and G23. I used the G17 holster for duty carry, sometimes wearing it 14-16 hours in a day. The G17, while obviously bulky, was never uncomfortable. While the holsters are good, they are mass produced and not worth the money IMO. For the same money you can purchase a holster made to your specifications. Keep reading this forum. I'm learning quite a bit about gunleather.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally I don't think it is right to ask a manufacturer or disributor (Alessi/Burns) to comment on a competitors products. So I'm assuming you meant to ask the general registed public in this forum their opinion on Galco? :smile:

I can tell you I just received my FIRST galco holster and it does not appear to be of the quality as some of the others: Milt Sparks, Alessi, etc. However time will tell whether or not it will work for me. Sorry I can't help more than that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my experience, GALCO makes an excellent product, albeit a mass produced, mass marketed one.

I tend to think of GALCO as the very best of the "production" leather shops. Their quality is very good, and their designs are tried and true. You will probably pay a higher price than you want to, but you'll get a very good product in return.

Then there are the "semi-custom" leather shops like Mitch Rosen or Milt Sparks. In this class, the quality definitely goes up several notches, and the designs are more original, more innovative. You'll still have to pay a bit more, and now you may have to wait for a while, but you'll get a truly great product in return.

At the top of the profession, you find a few men in the "custom" class. Since you mentioned Alessi, I'll use him as a prime example of the breed. Here you find the very finest quality and materials, and designs tailored to meet your specific needs and desires. Surprisingly, you will still find exceptional value for the dollar here. You'll have another wait to endure, of course, but in the end your perseverence will be rewarded with some of the finest gunleather that money can buy.

In the end I suppose it all depends upon what you plan to carry, and how. Here's my tongue-in-cheek advice:

1. Put your Colts, Springfields or Kimbers in a GALCO.
2. Put your Wilsons or Baers in a Rosen.
3. Put your full house custom in an Alessi.

Oh, and if you have an old Llama .45 or Auto-Ord, an Uncle Mike's would be just fine. :grin:

Chuck

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have had good luck with their NSA IWB & another one of their Horsehide IWB's but think their "Concealable" is way overpriced for what it it and has to steep a cant.
That said, my $ is better spent these day's on Lou Alessi';s gear, Sparks, Kramer, DelFatti or Rusty Sherrick. The wait required is far outweighed by the design & Quality you recieve.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Alessi and Sparks, are anything but mass-producers of leathergoods. They are small shops. The difference in an insignificant price increase for a holster from these two makers reaps benefits 10-fold. One of these two outfits will have a holster that will work for you.

Another top-notch low-volume outfit for gun leather is Wilson Combat. While not a true leather shop, they subcontract with both large and small suppliers for holsters made to (mostly) their design and specification. I have used a sharkskin "Tiger Shark" (looks to be a Safariland) for my G-19 with complete satisfaction. This is from someone who previously was NEVER happy with a paddle holster.

OTOH, Galco does manage to turn out some incredible custom Cowboy rigs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-09-11 22:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
They make a decent holster considering it's mass produced, but their pricing is a tad high. Very close to the custom guys like Sparks and Alessi.

However, if you need a holster right away, you won't have trouble getting one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-09-12 21:41, ShortRound wrote:
In my considered opinion, Galco makes and distributes some of the finest designed, thought out and executed holster catalogs available to the general public.
Yep, their 30th anniversary catalog is gorgeous -- I keep a copy in my files to spur our artists/designers to greater heights of creativity and sophistication. If any holster makers out there (are you listening Lou? Tony?) want something like that, give me a call. It's part of what I do for living. Of course Galco spent a minimum of $25k producing it. But that's why they're one of the largest holster makers in the world.

Chad

·
Registered
849 Posts
Galco has taken the reins from Bianchi in producing probably the largest variety of leather goods that are gun related. Rick Gallagher has come a long way from the days in Chicago when his company was known as "Jackass Leather". His products are very well made using the best materials. For a large production company, I would say that Galco has covered the field well.
The drawback to operating a company on that large a scale is that they are slow to respond to changes in the industry. A small operation like mine, Sparks, Delfatti, Rosen, or any of the one man shops can make changes, or create new designs in weeks or even days. Small shops are also inclined to provide more of a 'custom' service to their customers, where a large company has to watch the labor factor much more closely.
Their products are well designed, and well made, but what you see is what you get. Don't ask for changes or alterations of any kind, because that doesn't fit into the mass production operation. DeSantis is pretty much in that same boat.
Lou

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Lou,

I really appreciate your comments. In my mind it speaks volumes about your professionalism. Also your manners. Thanks for your honest thoughts without being to negative or taking cheap shots for the sake of more business.
Your response will no doubt influence my decision on who will make my next holster.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was sort of bagging on Galco because they do have such gorgeous catalogs. They have a very broad product line and their catalogs do a good job of displaying it.

On The Other Hand, the most informative and best catalog I've seen is the latest Milt Sparks catalog. It doesn't have the high polish of what Galco puts out but the pictures are excellent for showing the detail of the holsters. I know Tony worries because by the time he's got the latest catalog printed it's already out of date but it's still a great catalog.

"All cats are gray in the dark" - Benjamin Franklin.

P.S. Here's a hint for any holster makers who are currently putting something like say a website (Alessi.) The pictures that Tony gets of their holsters are GREAT. In a medium where so much is based on what we see and read it's much easier to buy over the internet when you can see the detail stitching, the close hand boning, etc. all that attention to detail that we nuts go on and on about when we get a new holster out of the mail. If we can see that detail on the web we will buy. SR.

P.P.S. The pics that Dane is prone to post are also very good! SR.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShortRound on 2001-09-13 22:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the Miami Classic system with both a Glock 26 and Glock 32 and have been very pleased with the results. Customer support and service has always been top notch. Both Beth Shotwell and Jamie Guerrero have been excellent in regards to providing information and other assistance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beth Shotwell, I love that name. If she isn't married that's even better! I could see some shooting guy marrying her and keeping her last name!

Picture it! My name is: Joe Shotwell! The name is the truth, my friend!!

Seriously guys, thanks for all your imput.
Keep it coming.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've got a Galco Summer Comfort and one of their gun belts. Both are quite nice. If you need a good holster fast, Galco is a good choice. With holsters it seems like the best will take alot more time and a bit more money (Galco isn't cheap).

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO, Galco is mostly overpriced crap. The leather is poorly boned and does not hold its shape well, unless you get one of the 'lined' holsters that is then way too thick. And who wears 1 3/4" belts? They make most of their holsters with this belt loop and tell you you'll do just fine using a smaller belt in that loop size. Right. Can you say "Rock"?

I don't have any of Lou's gear, but I do own a lot of Sparks and some Horseshoe Leather. For about the same price as many Galco rigs, Tony Kanaley and the boys at Sparks will make you a REAL holster. Horseshoe is good also, but apparently Andy recently raised his prices substantially. Still worth the money, but not as close to Galco's prices.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sparky315 on 2002-01-25 23:58 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.