Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an artical in American Handgunner on a Vickers custom Springfield which showed a mag well mounted "blended in".Having never used a add on magwell,what was blended about it?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Blending makes the magwell appear to be part of the frame, with little or no visible split between them. It is done by shaping and contouring, and soldering to make the installation appear seamless.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh,it serves only as a cosmetic detail which does nothing for function other than what the magwell does alone.Just going by the picture of Vickers gun,it still looks added on and not originaly part of the gun.Looks like a waste of money,the blending that is.I will just get the S&A magwell.Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe someone elses work might look more one piece.But like I said before Vickers magwell job looks like a slapped on magwell on the outside,I can see the line between the frame and the magwell.Something tells me I might have stepped on someones toes here only time will tell.Thanks for reply!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-19 22:13, isaidme wrote:
Maybe someone elses work might look more one piece.But like I said before Vickers magwell job looks like a slapped on magwell on the outside,I can see the line between the frame and the magwell.Something tells me I might have stepped on someones toes here only time will tell.Thanks for reply!!!

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-19 22:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ahh,it serves only as a cosmetic detail which does nothing for function other than what the magwell does alone.
True enough on the mag well's function.

What it's worth $ wise to the shooter having it blended is another story all together.

All of the smiths have their own supporters on line. They have also all learned to wear steel toe shoes :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-20 02:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
My smiley is bigger than yours:

gyp_c2, got your email last week. Might take you up on your offer of the shoot/BBQ, allthou its quite a drive down to Pueblo. I'm in Westminster, in liberal territory :sad:

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/ for the smiley library :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Isn't Shane's post a little misleading? I don't have the magazine in front of me but doesn't the Vicker's gun use an S&A magwell? If so, blending is just smoothing so it looks good and creates a seemlees fit between magwell and frame. I don't think that there is any soldering involved. Now something like a Brown Maxi-Well requires soldering or welding but is a very different animal.

With an S&A magwell you WILL se the line between the magwell and the frame because they are two different parts. This doesn't mean that the job was poorly done. Mike was right - an unblended S&A magwell looks very poor indeed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-06-20 07:31, TaxPhd wrote:
Isn't Shane's post a little misleading? I don't have the magazine in front of me but doesn't the Vicker's gun use an S&A magwell? If so, blending is just smoothing so it looks good and creates a seemlees fit between magwell and frame. I don't think that there is any soldering involved
Sorry if I implied that Larry had soldered the magwell to the frame - I simply meant that that is a method used to create a smooth transition from frame to magwell, and not necessarily the one Larry used. Larry may not have used solder, and achieved a good fit by careful filing and shaping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-06-20 08:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
On 2001-06-19 21:46, isaidme wrote:
Ahh,it serves only as a cosmetic detail which does nothing for function other than what the magwell does alone.Just going by the picture of Vickers gun,it still looks added on and not originaly part of the gun.Looks like a waste of money,the blending that is.I will just get the S&A magwell.Thanks
Incorrecto, my man. :grin: It is not possible to have an easily removable part (mag well/ main spring housing) mated and installed to another part (frame) without a discernable parting line. If you want a seamless mag well, have a Briley or a Maxi-Well heli-arc'd on. The dollar value in blending from a functional point is that the walls of the mag well & frame are turned into a step-less funnel that tapers much further into the frame the the two stock parts offer unmodified. My blending job on a S&A flows all the way into the frame to the lower grip screw bushings. The functional object being to give the magazine the smoothest path to complete insertion, from entrance to the click of the mag catch. And yes, Mike is right, it does look like crap with out blending :wink: But then again, your gun, your money, your choice!
Regards,
John

·
Registered
150 Posts
On 2001-06-20 02:18, Dane Burns wrote:
[quote:2rwjiu7d]
Ahh,it serves only as a cosmetic detail which does nothing for function other than what the magwell does alone.
True enough on the mag well's function.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-20 02:19 ]</font>
[/quote:2rwjiu7d]

Dane, does that mean you don't care for magwells?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-20 04:01, JLM wrote:
My smiley is bigger than yours:

gyp_c2, got your email last week. Might take you up on your offer of the shoot/BBQ, allthou its quite a drive down to Pueblo. I'm in Westminster, in liberal territory :sad:

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/ for the smiley library :wink:
Well the first BBQ shoot went well...FROM WHAT I HEARD!!! I got "diverted" at the last minute and missed out! From what I heard...it was great!!! The guys that DID go are all regulars and each said so! I'm pretty sure there will be more, hopefully as soon as the fall...We'll see. Larry(akaTrophyShop) is a hell of a guy and went WAY OOOVER THE TOP to have us all feel so comfortable at his "Rancho de Blaster" that I've heard threats of moving in, camping in, etc!!!

Keep in touch and toss some more "feelers" out, as some of the guys are from around the Denver area and beyond I think...I'm sure it'll hit the "announcements if and when Trophy has recovered and the weather chills a bit...WHEW...I the 10 years I've been here, this is the HOTTEST I've ever seen it at this time of the year!!! I have to say, with all the rounds goin' off down Trophys' way, it's plenty hot enough!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Dane, does that mean you don't care for magwells?
The only mag well I really like is the intergral well forged from the frame itself. (ala Nastoff, Sharp and in the past Heinie) I detest the current S&A and don't like Heinie's version either. Vickers I thought did a good job on the S&A, fwiw. I have done a number of the Brown's TIGed on and cut down.

Since I don't work in a "run and gun" environment I see no reason to have them on a street gun. Makes the gun longer and heavier, both things I take great pains in limiting. I would normally use one on my IPSC guns but stopped even that on my single stack guns. I don't use them on my IDPA gun or my street guns.

Everyone has an opinion, that is mine :grin:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dane,
Thanks...I respect your opinion.

One of the nice things (at least to me) is that it (EDIT: the 1911) can have a magwell adapted to the frame. Unlike a lot of the Euroguns. I like that positive magazine alignment. I got so sick of that "jacked up" quick reload that most of those Euroguns offer...YUK!

I too wish that the frame itself had the magwell incorporated into it rather than added later almost as if it was an after thought...If some company would ever update the basic frame!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LW McVay on 2001-06-20 16:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
doesnt Caspian make a frame with the mag well flared open?

with enough practice mag changes are fast/postive enough w/o a mag well added on.

The S&A is nice if you have very large hands, it adds some length to the contact with your hand.

Its "COOL & IN" because the FBI gun has one....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Point of Reference for the Original Poster...

The Wilson, and I believe, to some degree the S&A magwell/MSH's will require some minor fitting to work. They tend to come slightly oversized, and if you simply install one on a gun that HAS had any flaring to the bottom of the grip, you will get an angled step where the inside of the grip runs straight out, then angles out, and hits the add-on funnel.

By blending, it INCREASES the opening on the magwell, and makes the part appear to be a part of the gun. Since most guns have slight differences in the grip frame/magwell opening between makes, this IS an issue, cosmetically.

The stainless Mag Funnel's aren't easy to work, and require some good files... I know, I screwed up my Wilson, and just left it, and will start fresh with a new one, and fit it better, or have a pro do it.

One other point... Without the 'relief work' I did on the rear of mine, the mags would not seat fully, or drop free...

If I get a chance, I may post a pic, and show what a non-fitted magwell looks like...

I will say that I prefer the MSH/Funnels over the slip-on ones, or weld-on ones... While they may not be readily removed, they can be removed, and if the gun doubles for Carry, and Comp, can be useful.

On my dedicated carry gun, a LWT Commander, I would agree with Dane, in that they defeat the purpose, and with proper training, or practice, don't offer much of an advantage.

If you did notice Larry's example, he angled the bottom outside edge of the Mag Funnel. I really liked the appearance of this, but what made the difference is the style Stock set that was used (and that Larry didn't pick). The flush bottom (covered pin) style made the stocks appear to extend down, and that angle on the mag funnel made them appear like the bottom edge of a normal set of stocks. I prefer my MSH pin UNcovered, but that small detail was appreciated, at least by me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.