Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is rifling cut or machined with a broach. There are two types of cut, or machined rifling, broach and single point cut. Single point offers more flexibility, but is very slow. Broach cut is much faster, I believe, since all of the grooves are cut at the same time. The primary advantage ove hammer forged or button rifling is that this can be done basically stress free. ECM in a loose sense is another type of machined rifling, which uses an electrode to cut the rifling. I think it has the best surface finish of the group. . .which of course can also be bad depending which barrel expert you are speaking to.

I hope we have a barrel nmaker who can add some knoledge and experience to this post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A single-point cutter is a single hook that cuts. Once it has cut, it is shimmed higher, and pulled through the same groove again. After a bunch of passes, one groove is finally cut full depth. The cutter is then re-indexed and the whole process repeated for the next groove.

A broach has a series of hooks, each taller than the one in front of it. The hooks are spiralled out to create the correct twist desired. (Think of a christmas tree)
Once the bore is reamed and polished, the broach is pulled through once, and the bore is thus rifled. Much faster, but making the broach is expensive. One chipped tooth can scrap a broach.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick Sweeney on 2001-07-13 10:36 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.