Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (and everyone else who seems to know me) says I should start writing full-time for the gun magazines. Since I just quit my full-time cop job, this is a possibity now.
So, I am curious what gun mags this group likes best? TIA

·
Registered
213 Posts
Marty,
I would suggest SWAT Magazine. SWAT was just sold by Flynt Publications, and the new owner is very pro-gun and has a lot of integrity. Denny Hansen, the editor, is a retired cop and a real no b.s. guy. I spoke with Denny the other day and he told me he was looking for some new writers to help overhaul the look of the magazine for the new ownership.
I have written for six or seven gun rags, and SWAT is the only one that is truly not influenced by advertising. (As a result, they don't have much advertising.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you buy a lot of guns, which is doubtful since your on this site :wink: , you should check out Gun Tests which reviews all sorts of guns. Supposed to be unbiased like Consumer Reports and they SEEM to be because they slam a lot of big names when deserved. Anyone else have experience with this mag?

http://www.gun-tests.com/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Marty, a lot depends on what kind of writer you wish to be--most gun rags are full of basic bs. Lots of people make a good buck putting out said bs. Much of the content is driven by the advertising, and most have never met a gun they did not like. Staff tests done in the Rifleman may be the exception. Yes, a few writers can tell the truth--but not many have that kind of clout.

Two magazines impress or have in the past impressed me. Police until the last couple of editors, and Police could make a comeback under Roy Huntington. Law&Order has been strong, and with Ed Sanow as the new editor, the last few issues have been excellent.

Next, what do you plan to write about? I have always been very careful about who I train. Were I a writer, I would want to be careful about who and what I trained via the written word.

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best. GLV

G

·
Marty,
I have always been partial to SWAT. I also like the Police Marksman and although it can sometimes go in strange directions SOF. Police is ok and I may have to renew Law and Order if they are improving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Marty,

The only mag I subscribe to is Combat Handguns. This does not mean that I think it is the one and only to read & that the others are no good.....But it is the only one I have found that will cover a variety of defensive handguns on a regular basis from different perspectives. This to me makes it worth getting every month.

Also, it seems like the writers there all have their own opinions on things, which just about never mesh....makes for good reading and info to use.

As far as the other mags go, I only buy them as I see fit depending on the articles and who's writing them. Good luck in your endeavor!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. Since my main body of knowledge consists of tactics and training, both in civilian sector and law enforcement, it makes sense to write about these topics. I get bored reading gun reviews, I can't imagine actually writing one. This of course, will severely limit me, but that's life.

I would also be interested in doing reviews of shooting schools, but I expect since I own my own, that wouldn't be kosher.

Got private e-mail from the new owner of SWAT, am looking forward to doing some writing there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Marty, with more and more US citizens carrying guns, I think there is huge demand for "tactical" writing instead of praising the latest wonderguns. The only reason I read "Combat Handguns" is Massad Ayoob's series on surviving the legal aftermath, the occasional article about tactical problems (for example by Ralph Mroz), NTI reviews, etc. In my opinion, they should focus much more on this things, throw in a few articles about defensive ammo and carry gear and forget about those "new" guns- exept when something really revolutionary comes along. SWAT seems to be a good magazine, but it's too LEO oriented for me and hardly available here anyway.
Good luck

Cato

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sir, I hope you do become a writer, I think you would have things to say that would benefit me to read. I subscribe to Combat Handguns. On a whim I buy several other magazines on occasion, but I only subscribe to that one. There are two reasons for this.
Number 1 - Combat Handguns is the only magazine of which I am aware that even addresses how to use your mind in a confrontation. I like the gun articles, but I value even more highly the information on carry systems, conflict avoidance, and training. Reason number two is that most of the other articles from other magazines I read go about like this, "We arranged to have the XYZ shipped to us so we could evaluate it for 23 minutes and then ship it to the next gunwriter. We ran 8 rounds of ball ammo through it and most of them hit the target. We ran 2 rounds of hollowpoint and had one failure to feed. The shooters were myself and some guys that were hanging out at 7-11 when I stopped for coffee on the way to the range. It should be noted that they don't know jack about guns, so the 4 rounds they fired collectively should really be discounted. And that is why gun XYZ would be a wonderful addition to your personal arsenal. God Bless America...."

Okay, a little levity to communicate my opinion, but there is some truth to it also. Combat Handguns, in my humble opinion, seems much more credible by addressing the gun with different types of ammo, carry systems, alternate sighting systems and user friendliness.

It would be great to be able to read more of your writings on which type of gun is cool this week, but really I would like for you to write about alertness, training drills and mistakes you have seen that I won't make if you tell me about them (hopefully). Anyway, my sincerest wishes for your success in this endeavor. Jake Salyards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gungames was a lot better mag before they had their problems and reorganized.I think now that Arida is trying to push this World Shooting Org.and is using the mag to promote it and is covering sports that a lot of shooters are simply not interested in reading about.Air rifle,Skeet and Trap,Sporting Clays.To the people who participate in these sports my hat is off to you and I hope you spread the word that gun owners are not bad people and that the shooting sports are some of the safest sports there are.But,..Those sports are not as much fun to partake in as say IPSC/USPSA,IDPA or Cowboy shooting and far more people participate in the last three mentioned sports than the first three.What I am saying is if they are going to publish a shooting sports magazine it should lean toward the largest number of competitive shooters.In short I think they had a better mag before the hiatus.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Air rifle,Skeet and Trap,Sporting Clays.To the people who participate in these sports my hat is off to you and I hope you spread the word that gun owners are not bad people and that the shooting sports are some of the safest sports there are.But,..Those sports are not as much fun to partake in as say IPSC/USPSA,IDPA or Cowboy shooting and far more people participate in the last three mentioned sports than the first three.
Are you sure about the relative numbers of participants? There are a lot of skeet and trap shooters out there. The Amateur Trapshooting Association, for instance, has over 50,000 members and draws over 5,000 shooters for the Grand American shoot at Vandalia, Ohio.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Helloooooooooooo!!!

I've only read and subscribed to one mag and that is "First Freedom" a NRA mag. I subscribed when I joined the NRA a year and a half ago. It's more politics than weapons but since it's a bunch of old guys in Washington D.C. who are decided how we can own and operate our guns, this is important. Maybe I should start picking up an actual firearms mag so I can learn what I want to purchase next.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.