Pistol Smith Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My favorite OWB holster is my Alessi DOJ. However, I carry 99% of the time IWB and my hands down favorite is the Ky-Tac Braveheart. It is an awesome holster. The Sparks VM-2 holster is also used when I'm in the mood for leather.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm looking to try a good leather IWB holster. I have a Sidearmor IWB for my Glock 23. Nothing wrong with the holster design and I use it, but it is not totally comfortable. Figuring the problem is my chunky middle, are there any leather IWB holsters anyone has used that might be more comfortable for the chunky butt impaired?

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Desert Dog:

Glad to see another Wm. Wallace fan. My people hail from the Isle of Skye mainly, on mom's side. Irish on dad's. I've watched BraveHeart at least a dozen times... that was when men were steel and ships were wood! (I love the Irishman in that film... "It's MY island!"). I'm suspicious of anyone for whom the pipes don't stir their soul, too. :wink:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Pat,

We have more in common than you may have imagined. My family descends from the Clan MacIntyre, which originally came from the Isle of Skye. The Clan left in 1110 A.D., to settle in Glen Noe on the shores of Loch Etive in Argyleshire.

Braveheart IS one of my all-time favorite movies. I have watched it more than a dozen times myself. The movie has a great deal of personal meaning, as my Clan traces their genealogy to Robert the Bruce through the first chief of record, Duncan, who married a daughter of Campbell of Barcaldine. The great MacIntyre bard, Duncan Ban, fought for the house of Hanover at the Battle of Falkirk in 1746.

Stephen (of Ireland) was one of my favorite characters in the movie. I love the scene at the Battlefield At Stirling, where he and William Wallace are huddled under their shields waiting for the next volley of arrows to rain down upon them and Stephen <glancing skyward> says to Wallace , "The Lord say he could get me out of this mess, but He's pretty sure your focked!" <then THAT laugh!!> :grin:

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-04-25 01:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Wilson Rapid Response and Lo-Profile. Sometime in the near future I will go with Dane for a Holster.
Mall Ninja, my beautiful Mother who passed on so young is D. Downs. My wife's family come from Passel Park Scotland. It is a bad thing to have so many loud drinking happy folks in one family<grin>.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's see . . . For the BHP.40 I carry in a Sparks EX, one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever worn. The Glock 23 goes in a Sparks VersaMax 2. It's a great holster, but probably not the best choice for the chunky Glock. Still a dang good holster, though. I'd love to have one for my 3913. Glock 30 rides in a Kramer IWB#2. I like the holster, but it's pretty thick and tends to dig in to my hip badly after a day's worth of carry.

For IDPA competition I tend to carry the BHP.40 in a Blade-Tech holster. I know, I'm a gaming SOB but I was beating the hell out of my EX and wanted something I didn't mind banging up.

Just bought a Kimber Royal and am considering a BCP/Alessi GWH. I've got an Alessi ankle holster and the quality is first rate. I'd expect nothing less from the GWH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OWB: Dillon C.L.S. with either my Kimber SS Ultra Carry or Stainless Target. Simple, inexpensive, and works great.

IWB: Milt Sparks (www.miltsparks.com) VersaMax 2 in cowhide for my Ultra Carry. Very stable design that conceals nicely and wears comfortably all day. Workmanship is outstanding. Will buy one for the Target after saving up. I also have an Uncle Mike's IWB w/o top strap that I use when I expect to remove my rig for legal reasons while out and about.

Magazine pouch: Milt Sparks IWB double (IPD). Works well.

Gun belt: Milt Sparks 1 1/2 inch plain. Great workmanship, very comfortable with built-in waist curve, and looks good with business or casual wear.

Regards,
TBob

·
Registered
126 Posts
What I carry and which holster I use depends on the weather and the mode of dress it dictates. I agree that in theory and probably in fact we would all benefit from carrying the same pistol in the same rig in the same place every time. Speaking for myself, the realities and changing conditions of everyday life make this impractical.

1)Scott McDougal TOL (Top Of the Line) Colt Pocket Nine: Carried in a Milt Sparks pocket holster. I know...it's a little sissy boy pistol, but mine is completly reliable with Hydra Shocks and I haven't figured out how to conceal a .45 while wearing a tank top and shorts. It's also mighty handy for slipping into a pocket when going out on a quick errand or to a place where I know I'll have to leave my gun in the car.

2) Kimber Ultra Carry: Milt Sparks again, this time a VM2 horsehide with sharkskin trim. Worn in warm weather with an untucked shirt.

3) Any full size 1911: Sparks VM2 identical to the one above, worn under a short jacket or vest. My favorite OWB is a Heinie/Alessi DOJ. Works well under a longer jacket or photographers vest and is a real pleasure at the range. Lately I've been tempted to try one of Dane's ACPs. The cant should make it more comfortable than a straight drop when behind the wheel.

This has worked for me in daily carry for some time now.

David

·
Registered
75 Posts
My favorite holster is the Alessi's Hideout. I have one for my P95, my GP100, and one on order for my P11. One funny thing about 'cheap' guns is they drove me to buy SWEET holsters!

"All cats are gray in the dark" - Benjamin Franklin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShortRound on 2001-05-19 23:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Greetings all!
I generally use a Rosen ARG-DL with only one loop(that way I get
the shield on the body side), and lined with cowhide for a slick
draw. I always carry a Rosen/Speir Off-Side mag carrier with
a Sure-Fire 9z. I keep buying Kydex, but never use it. It's
kind of like the 1911, love it be proud of it thing versus the
Glock it works but it's just a hammer thing! I do have Alessi
Ankle holsters for my Airwieght Bodyguard and Glock 29(yes, I
have rots of grocks, and yes it is comfortable and concealable),
and a pocket holster for my old Airwieght 38.
By the way, I have one of Mitch's first ARG's that I've retired,
it was made way back in 1991, still in like new condition after
being carried in Arizona heat(read: perspiration and soggy cow-
hide!)for 8 years. It's kind of funny, the GM 1911 still snugs
in place, but slight tug brings it out quickly.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.