Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a topic that you will never see in one of the popular magazine articles.
I am very curious as to what jams in your guns?

We all know these rounds and we have all made a list be it written or mental of what will not function in our "favorite" gun/ammo combos.

I will agree that is far more satisfying to post on what works and how "my guns run 100%" but we all know better.

Pistolsmith.com is a reality based program and I am quite sure that we all have known gun/ammo combos that will not function.

My most recent list member has been with Wolf 230gr FMJ steel cased ammo in my two Springfield TRP models, the SS and the PRO.
It will not extract in either gun, they run 100% otherwise with PMC, Speer, Federal and Winchester FMJ.

One other example has been with Magsafe defender and Mini-Glock 9mm rounds in my P7, they will not function reliably.
Using them cause’s double feeds and stove pipes.
I was "told" years ago not to use Glaser’s in the P7 and was curious with the magsafe's.

Neither of these guns is "defective" and short of replacing the extractor on an otherwise 100% gun (which I will not do) I avoid using Wolf ammo in my TRPS.
The P7 will never function reliably with the frangible due to the gas port design.

Please understand that I do not want to flame any manufacturer and I do not want single them out, I am looking for the combinations that will not work together.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
10mm Auto: My Colt Delta Elite feeds everything fine EXCEPT Pro Load 155gr Gold Dots. Wincester Silvertip 175gr, Pro Load 180gr Gold Dots, 155gr cast lead handloads and Speer Blazer 200gr TMJ all work great. The Pro Load 155gr works great in my Glock 20C, however... but that darn gun will eat almost anything.

.45 ACP: Pro Load 200gr +P Gold Dots were kind of iffy feeding in my Kimber Classic Stainless Target. Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr, Winchester Supreme SXT 230gr and Hornady XTP 200gr +P all worked fine in that gun, so I think it just didn't like the Gold Dot bullets. I had a Glock 36 that was 100% with the Pro Load 200gr+P, however, but it always worked anyway.

9x19mm: EVERYTHING worked 100% of the time in the SigSauer P228 I used to have, so I can't be really helpful there. Pro Load 124gr+P and Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr both worked perfectly.

.40S&W and .357 Sig: The only guns I had in these calibers were Glocks and they never mis-fed anything. Federal Hydra-Shok 155gr, Speer Gold Dot 165/125gr, Remington Golden Saber 165gr and Cor-bon 165gr were all good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had trouble in every 1911 I used to own with the Old CCI Lawman "flying ashtray" 200gr. HP. FTF... Quit trying to use them years ago. Triton's 160gr.+p target round will not feed reliably in my G36 unless I add just a small amount of taper crimp, but they are really accurate so I don't mind the extra effort....... The Triton works great in my Kimbers right from the box.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lets see,

Wolf 230gr is somewhat iffy in my Kimber Classic Royal. This might be the gun, however. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to be sure.

Glock 23: The only thing it won't feed is CorBon ammo. Failed to go fully into battery at least once every other magazine. The G23 has shot everything else I've ever tried to stuff into it.

BHP.40: Also shot everything I put in it until I installed a BarSto barrel. Then it started hanging up on Georgia Arms 180gr "canned heat." GA also switched to Ranier plated bullets around that time, so I don't know whether to fault the bullet or the barrel. The rounds that failed had a lip dimpled into them from slamming into the feed ramp and hanging there. Minor gunsmithing and a friend's reloads w/Montana Gold bullets solved the problem.

Chad

·
Registered
988 Posts
I will tell you the ammo that continues to impress me: CCI Blazer GD in 9mm. I don't think I have found anything that chokes on it. At the price, it is a best buy...you just don't get to reload with it. Also, Blazer has worked great in my 10mm's.

Also, have never had a problem with Winchester 124gr jsp in 9x23.

Had some problems with Magtech ammo, it was given to me and perhaps that is why? :smile: I don't shoot it anymore.

Ran into a batch of PMC .223 that had terrific problems with hard primers. Very unusual, as most I have had runs great. Wish I could find a shipping container full of the 50BMG PMC ammo....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, with my Sig Sauer P-229 in .40, i can't shoot Magtech 180 grs. FMJ. It's jams once for every magazine (otherwise it perfoms without a single problem, also in 357 sig). My Glock 30 doesn´t like the Fiochi 200 grs. JHP (a pitty because it's a pretty hot round, but very short in profile) and the Magtech 185 + P Gold. The Walther P-99 digested every thing i put inside, except sometimes Fiocchi amunnition again. The problem was that i pulled the trigger and the there was not shoot (not really a fault of the gun, but of the really hard primes they use, this was Nato amunnition).
With my Heckler P-9 S 45 ACP, near every thing jammed once (a joke), but seriously, this is a pretty jealous mistress. If you don't have it okay, the bitch not shoot (unlike Glocks). Seriously, for the ones who have it, i have real good experiences with it and the Hornady 230grs. XTP +P, never a jamm. With my Glocks 21C, 22, 32, 36, Heckler P-7M13 never have a problem (i generally only use FMJ amunnition because JHP here is very expensive and also are forbidden for carry)

·
Registered
54 Posts
the only guns that I ever had stoppage problems with both date me. 90gr Super Vel in a S&W Model 39-2 and Super Vel 190gr jhp .45 ACP in a light weight Commander

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.