Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people...let's describe our ideal carry 1911.

Ideally, I would like to have 2. One Government length and one compact (officer's size frame and Commander length slide). I like to keep at least a 4" barrel in .45ACP, and an officer's frame would be good for days that I'm wearing a thin T-shirt. Being that I'm pretty skinny, a full size grip might protrude if I don't have enough of an outer garment. But I still like the Government model the best.
Anyhow, here are the features that I like to have on my 1911s:

Quality base pistol or slide/frame set.
Total reliability (a given of course)
Heinie Slant Pro sights, with a front tritium dovetail sight.
Videki short aluminum trigger set at a crisp 4.5 pounds.
Wilson beavertail (desensitized so that gun can fire with very little palm pressure) and blended in with frame
Ed Brown tactical ambi safety.
Tool steel hammer and sear.
Quality small parts (extractor, ejector, firing pin stop, etc) - no MIM parts
Bar-Sto or Kart match barrel and bushing - muzzle crowned
Standard mag catch
Serrated or stippled front strap and MSH
Serrated rear of slide
Serrated and flatten top of of slide
Dehorn of all sharp edges
Beveled mag well
Wolff springs
Slide, frame, barrel fitted to carry tolerances (tight but not so tight)
Either Black-T/blue entire gun, or Black-T/blue upper, and hard chrome lower.

There may be a few more things I'm forgetting, but those are the highlights of my ideal carry/tactical 1911. Mostly pretty simple and typical stuff for me.

What about the rest of you? Anything special or different that you must have?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken Sham on 2001-06-20 08:47 ]</font>

· Registered
58 Posts

I'm currently finishing up this one for a customer. The picture was taken before cosmetic detailing. It's made a really nice carry piece. The spec's are pretty close to yours. When time permits, I'll build one for myself -w- my checkering in 25 lpi and Black-T. I'm pretty much on the same page as you with personal preference as to mods.
Regards,
John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Harrison on 2001-06-20 09:17 ]</font>

G

·
In reality, all I am really looking for are good sights and smooth edges.
If the piece is reliable and accurate, I can get by without issue with the above mods.

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2001-06-20 14:22, David DiFabio wrote:
In reality, all I am really looking for are good sights and smooth edges.
If the piece is reliable and accurate, I can get by without issue with the above mods.
True David. Many of us just tend to get spoiled by the extras. I think I could probably settle for just a reliability job and Heinie sights if I really had to.
But just talking about the ideal 1911, the above is what I like :grin:

On the flipside though, there are several things that I definitely do not want on any of my carry 1911s. Here are some of them

1. Rubber grips - too sticky for me, and I don't like the looks of them
2. Extended slide release - useless for me, and it sticks out too much
3. Extended mag release button - also useless for me
4. Full length guide rod - no use, and I don't need the extra weight up front
5. Front cocking serrations - I don't like the looks (though if the rest of the gun is nice, I can probably learn to live with this if I had to)
6. Meltdown - I really hate the "melted" look. A nice dehorn/bevel should be at a minimal level for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken Sham on 2001-06-20 14:59 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.