Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear about MIM parts in reference to Kimbers all the time. What parts on a Kimber are MIM?

Do they still make the MSH out of plastic?

Wasn't the trigger plastic, also?

Thanks, just trying to understand what parts I would want to replace with forged steel if I had a Kimber.

Eric

·
Registered
199 Posts
The trigger is now a 3 hole aluminium model and the MSH is plastic. All parts except the sights are MIM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think the above post is correct. I'll give it a try.
The sights are MIM as well as:
Hammer
Sear
Disconnector
Grip safety
Thumb safety
Slide stop
Firing pin stop
Extractor
Ejector
Mag Release

edited to add one more!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tupperware on 2001-09-02 00:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think the plunger tube is MIM also.

I have been told by Kimber that the extractor is machined steel, so is the bushing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-12-04 17:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Who cares??? Hey, here is another question...what parts on a Glock are made of plastic? And another...what parts on a Winchester 94 are made of wood? Oh, and what parts on a Henry rifle are made of brass? And what parts on an M16 are made of aluminum? Come on guys...enough already on the MIM!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sundance on 2001-12-06 04:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gotta agree with Sundance here. Yes Kimber uses MIM parts. So does Colt and Springfield. So does just about every other handgun manufacturer out there.

I've got about 30,000 rounds through my Kimber Custom with all it's MIM parts. No problems yet. Only parts replaced due to wear are springs.

BTW, Teton - Yep, you're Gold Match is chock full of MIM.

Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StuporDave on 2001-12-06 07:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi gents, in defense of emclain it sounded as if he only wanted to know what parts He may want to replace. I can share his concern. I just this evening replaced the MSH on a new Pro CDP and it is absolutely plastic. May be fine for the application, but it does not fit my self-imposed preferences for a carry weapon.

Not bitching gent's, just trying to better understand which parts I want to be metal. I also replaced the hammer, sear, and dis-connector with one of the BCP Ignition Systems. The Burns product is indeed superb. I believe even a picky person would find the trigger is now smooth, crisp and a good example of what a trigger on a 1911 pattern should be. Have'nt measured it yet, but I expect it be around 4# (maybe less). I simply dropped it in and will not be changing it at all.

Thanks for the info from Tupperware cause I intend to replace all the MIM parts in this CDP.

By the way, Kimber did a great job of replacing the sights with the newer third generation. The front sight died (lost luminance) after approx 300rds. Sent it out Monday and received it back Wednesday. Nope, Dennis didn't offer any magazines. Yes, overnight express is expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-12-26 21:16, s&w686 wrote:
Don't laugh! A dumb question is one that is not asked, so here goes. What is MIM?
MIM = Metal Injection Molded

molten metal injection molded to near ready specs so almost no machining/fitting is needed. So the story goes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-12-26 22:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
glazer1972, sorry for the delayed response.

A good description of the MIM process is provided on the folowing link http://www.flomet.com/.

My reasons for replacing the MIM parts are largely due to simple personal preferences. Addtionally, I have personal knowledge of one hammer cracking on a Kimber.

The main reason I want steel in my gun is because it is specifically for carry use. I have absolute intent the gun should not experience parts failure due to material properties under normal use.

I have replaced the hammer, sear, disconnector, and hammer strut with the BCP parts. The MSH was replaced with the Wilson component. I will probably use Wilson, or equivalent quality parts, for the firing pin, FP stop, grip safety, etc.

I believe MIM is great for many applications. I believe MIM, CNC, EDM technologies all contribute to providing a really nice product at lesser costs.

However, for a carry weapon I prefer, and will pay the difference for, steel parts.

Sorry for getting so 'wordy' here. If I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

Thanks,
Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tblackley on 2001-12-27 11:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tblackley on 2001-12-27 11:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
84 Posts
tblackley,
I have had my kimber (see signature) since January 27, 1999. I have been 99.99% satisfied w/ it. I had a grip screw lock up in one of the bushings and ended up stripping a bushing hole. I tapped it w/ an oversize bushing kit from Brownells. I have a discoloration (not rust) on the frame under the grips. I assume from the oil in the wood? My front nite site is very dim and my rear site is almost as bad. I have had zero jams, FTF or any other operational failures or broken parts. I do carry this gun alot more often than I shoot it. I know I have to do something about my sites I just hate to do w/o it. I am considering the changeover from the mim to the tool steel. The only parts I am a little hesitant to try to tackle myself are the plunger tube and the ejector. Thanks for the advice. Maybe in the wrong section but I am also trying to sell a rifle to raise funds for a Baer super-tac that is for sale for what I think is a great price. Not to replace my Kimber though, just to be a big brother and to carry while the Kimber is in for the sites. What do you think of Baer's if the price is right that is?

·
Registered
12 Posts
glazer,

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Baer a I have no personal experience with them. Although, there is a good thread on here about the comparison of Baer to others. A search I'm sure will get you there.

On the night sights I do have experience. My Pro CDP lost luminance on the front sight within the first 500 rds. I sent it to Kimber on a Monday and received it back on the following Wednesday (two days)! I'm pleased with the gun.

Some one else on this forum made the most sensible comment in that the factory guns are very good in that the basic machine work is done, but a good pistol smith can finish the job and make it into a great weapon. I apologize if I've not conveyed the correct context of that statement.

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
One more question in regard to the parts changeover. I want to replace my mainspring housing on my stainless steel compact with a stainless steel serrated one. To reduce wear and tear on the inside of my vest. Any ideas on were to get on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see people saying that they want to replace MIM manufactured parts with "metal" MIM parts ARE metal, high quality, hardened steel, as a matter of fact. The only plastic part is the mainspring housing.

Is a part better just because it is machined? No. Machined parts can and often are of sub-standard quality. Just because apart costs more, doesn't nake it better.

All the components of HK USP's are MIM or stampings, and I don't see a rush to replace these parts.

My Gold Match is 4 years old, has many thousands of rounds through it. The MIM parts are holding up quite well, thank you.

I feel your money is better spent on ammo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't think the posts here are neccesarily saying that MIM parts as a whole are no good. I have heard more concern about MIM directly relating to Kimbers than any other brand. I have had zero problems w/ the MIM parts in my 3 year old Compact. However, on the Full Size I bought about a month ago, I did have to stone the back of the safety where it was rubbing and scratching against the frame. I think it may have to do more with QC at Kimber than MIM in general. I do now that tool steel is definately tougher and more resistant to breakage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[...]
However, on the Full Size I bought about a month ago, I did have to stone the back of the safety where it was rubbing and scratching against the frame. I think it may have to do more with QC at Kimber than MIM in general. I do now that tool steel is definately tougher and more resistant to breakage.
First of all, tool steel can be cast, forged, or MIM. The type of steel has nothing to do with the way it is manufactured.

Forged parts rub against frames also if they are improperly machined. Wilson bullet proof slide stops and extractors break if they have defects.

MIM, when done properly, has 98-99% the density and strength of forged parts at a greatly reduced cost. So, forging might have more durability over MIM, but you are talking about the difference between a forged part lasting for 100 years and a MIM part lasting for 99 and costing 50% less.

Pure and utter bunk. Poor quality control has nothing to do with the viability of the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On 2002-01-28 21:34, Gun Nut wrote:

Pure and utter bunk. Poor quality control has nothing to do with the viability of the manufacturing process.
I think that if you look back at my post you will see that I stated that it probably had more to do w/ QC @ Kimber than it did w/ MIM parts as a whole.

Given Quality Manufacturing & machining, If Tool Steel is not tougher. Then why is it used to cut or drill other steels. It would have to be tougher or it would dull very very fast.

Kimber Compact SS w/ nites, smooth Rosewood Laminate, Baer SS Serrated MSH. Kimber Classic SS Heinie Slant Pro Str 8 Nites, smooth Rosewood Laminate Baer SS Serrated MSH, Colt Dull SS recoil spring plug Brown GI style guide rod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glazer1972 on 2002-01-29 16:26 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.