Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What semi-automatic pistol (production or even custom) would you choose to meet these requirements?

1. Compact size (~4" barrel and enough grip so your little finger isn't hanging in the air).

2. Light weight. If it weighs as much as a Combat Commander it is too heavy for this purpose.

3. Chambered in 9x19mm, with as little recoil in that caliber as possible... assume the pistol is meant for someone who is relatively sensitive to recoil.

4. Good ergonomics for average-to-small hands; short trigger reach and no double-column magazines.

5. The easier it is to rack the slide, the better. If a woman of average size and hand strength would have difficulty doing this with a little practice the pistol is not acceptable.

6. Must be reliable and accurate.

7. SA, DA or DAO are all acceptable.

I know that some of these requirements tend to contradict each other (e.g. making a pistol lighter tends to increase recoil) but want to see what pistols people think meet these overall requirements best.

I have some ideas, but all of the pistols I now own are full-sized 10mm Autos. Personally, I dig big guns and think more boom more better. However, it is hard to hide a Glock 20C in your shorts and I'd eventually like to have a pistol that won't scare the crap out of a relative novice shooter the first time they pull the trigger.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Smith&Wesson 3913 meets all of your requirements. The 3913TSW is even better. The TSW is the "Tactical" version that comes with better sights, checkered front strap, throated & polished barrel, etc.

I bought one for my wife for pretty much the reasons you just outlined. It's slim, light weight and easy to shoot. The slide is relatively easy to rack. And even with the alloy frame, my very recoil sensitive wife doesn't find it unpleasant to shoot. My local gunsmith smoothed and lightened the trigger considerably, so the DA pull is about 9lbs. SA is about 4lbs.

Chad

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-08-15 13:15, CastleBravo wrote:

3. Chambered in 9x19mm, with as little recoil in that caliber as possible... assume the pistol is meant for someone who is relatively sensitive to recoil.
If that is the case, what's wrong with the weight of a Combat Commander? A 9mm in a compact/lightweight gun will FEEL like a .45 in a Combat Commander anyway.
Just a thought.....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Kahr P9 would be just the thing. Easy to operate the slide. Easy to make it go bang when wanted. Won't go bang when not wanted.
Safe to carry many different ways other than a holster, maybe a little pocket holster.

It's much more accurate than necessary and it's reliable. I like mine better and better all the time. Carry it every day, all day.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Today I went to the range and rented and/or fondled several compact 9mm pistols. The one that really impressed me was the Kahr K9. Nice ergonomics, fairly light, nice DA trigger, soft recoil. Problem is, now I want to buy one! :grin:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll second Rosco's vote for the Kahr P9. It's the only pistol I can think of that meets all the criteria, and I prefer it over the S&W 3913.

The MK9 is a good pistol also, but it's heavy for it's size and the little finger will hang below the grip frame.

G

·
Well CB,
It sounds as if you are picking a gun for a woman/person that does not really like to shoot but needs to own one?

I went through a fairly similar process some years back and in the end selected a Carl Sokol tuned 3913LS that was refinished in Black T after recieving a very smooth carry bevel and trijicon night sights.
The 3913Ls was then fitted with a Haarts recoil reducing rod and hogue rubber (I know...) grips to further ease recoil.
When firing the pistol with the chosen 124gr Hydrashock +P+ ammo it feels almost mild, 380 range.

Were I too choose today it would probably be a P9 as my wife is really fond of hers, she has fitted it with Ashley big dot tritiums sights and the Haarts RR w/Wolff springs as well, w/127gr +P+ Winchester Ranger T ammo it is fairly brisk but manageable for her.

If the pistol was for myself I would choose the P7M8 or possibly the Sig P239 .357.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.