Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Custom CDP and notice that the recoil spring feels pretty light. What weight replacement spring would you recommend for 230 gr. plus P ammo? (with a buff, of course) My guess is 18 or 18.5 would be enough spring.

Thanks,
Neal

·
Registered
151 Posts
Neal

If memory serves me Kimber uses 16 pound springs in their full size 1911's. I would change to a 18.5 pound spring which is the standard weight for most of the industry.

If you shoot a lot of +P don't forget to change recoil springs every 2000 rounds.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My Understanding is that, with the extra power recoil spring, there is increased inertia when the slide goes forward. The extra power firing pin spring retracts the firing pin a bit faster upon firing (possibly reducing drag marks on primers)and aids in preveventing the firing pin from causing a slam fire if the pistol is dropped on the muzzle. It also gives more resistance to forward movement of the firing pin in order to help overcome the increased inertia of the slide returning to battery under the power of the stiffer recoil spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.