Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new belt, which will be used for IWB carry of a G23 and a fullsize 1911 (not at the same time, or with the same holster of course...)

I have a 1.25 Kramer, which works fine for the G23, but not having carried a 1911 before, I'm wondering if 1.50 makes more sense for support. I'm leaning towards the beautiful Alessi belt I saw in one of the previous threads.

I wear 95% of the time, casual clothes, so I don't "need" the smaller size, but I would like the belt to look "good".

Any input is appreciated.

btw - this is one of the best "gun" forums I've seen. I'm delighted to have found this, wish I had seen it sooner.

Regards,
Francis

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well here goes, let me toss in my two cents.

I have two of Lou's belts; one in 1.25" and one in 1.5". I bought the narrower belt because the khakis I wore at the time would only allow a 1.25" wide belt. Then I found another brand of pants with larger loops so I got the wider belt. Now I wear the 1.5" wide belt everyday and find it more comfortable then the 1.25" belt. Either one will support my Kel-Tec on up through the weight and size of my GP100 (KGP141.)

IMHO, I believe the wider belt is better and more comfortable to wear with or without toting a gun.

·
Registered
262 Posts
On the other hand, all of my gun belts are 1.25". Why? Two reasons: 1) Most of the time I'm in dress slacks at work and they'll only accommodate a 1.25 belt, and 2) even when I'm dressed casually, I don't want the belt to stand out. A 1.5" belt looks okay with jeans, but distinctly out of place with shorts or khakis. It doesn't scream "gun" the way some other apparel items do, but it's odd enough that the incongruity might cause a second glance. Not something I want. Discretion is the rule o' the day when carrying, and anything I can do to appear more normal (tricky for me :smile:) and inconspicuous is what I'll opt for every time.

A good 1.25" belt from a reputable holster maker is sufficient to carry the weigt of a handgun. That's what they're designed for.

Chad

·
Registered
934 Posts
Chad made some great points. Just make sure that you get the holster with the same width slots.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,

thanks for the input. Dane suggested the 1.5 inch Alessi belt which tapers down to 1.25 around the buckle area, best of both worlds? who can say?

I'll try one out and let everyone know the outcome. And I still have my 1.25 to fall back on .

Regards,
Francis

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1.5 Wilderness Instructor belt that I wear 99% of the time to carry my full size 1911.I mostly dress casual so it hasn't been a problem.I have never had a problem with it looking out of place wearing khakis or shorts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-08-07 21:02, FrancisB wrote:
All,

thanks for the input. Dane suggested the 1.5 inch Alessi belt which tapers down to 1.25 around the buckle area, best of both worlds? who can say?

I'll try one out and let everyone know the outcome. And I still have my 1.25 to fall back on .

Regards,
Francis
Great belt, purchased one not long ago from Alessi Leather. It still takes a 1.5" slot for your holster.

Tim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Now short of buying another holster, how do you accomodate those larger slot sizes when you've shifted to a smaller belt?

Some of the kydex holsters have shims...what is available (if anything) for leather?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I knew I'd be getting a wider belt eventually so I had all my holsters made with a loop to fit a 1.5" wide belt. All but one are IWB so this was a workable solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You mentioned your current belt was 1.25 Kramer. I have both Kramer double thick horsehide in 1.25 and 1.5. The 1.5 gives me a lot more support and tucks gun in closer than 1.25. I have worn 1.5 with twill pants and no sport coat to work and no one has commented. I generally buy lands end twills and belt is tight fit, but it fits. As I am sure you know if you buy Kramer holsters you can easily change size of belt loop- no extras required.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some holster designs demand a wider belt to stabilize the rig.

I just got a new G-Code paddle holster. This design is a high-riding paddle rig, with the muzzle just 3.5" below the top of the belt.

This high-riding design makes the G-Code the most concealable paddle-style holster I've encountered. It conceals well under an untucked T-shirt.

Due to the high-riding design, combined with the weight of a 1911, the rig tends to be a bit top-heavy. You really need a 1.5" belt to stabilize this rig.

Check out the G-Code rigs at http://www.tacticalholsters.com.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmmmmm....if 1.25 is too narrow for some people, and 1.50 is too wide...do you Mr. Alessi would mind adding a 1 3/8" belt (& holsters, of course) to his catalog :grin: It might fit dress slacks and might not scream out gun on khaki's...

·
Registered
849 Posts
I normally wear a 1-1/4" belt, and find the difference is minor with the holster I usually use every day. That's our CQC/S which is designed to work with either width belt. When I use a 1-1/2" belt I notice that the holster does get pulled into the body tighter, but there isn't enough of a difference (to me), to notice any comprimise in concealment with the 1-1/4".
We could make belts in 1-3/8" but I don't know of any buckles made in that width.
Now you would have a 1-3/8" belt using a buckle that is too large for the belt width.
It would make the belt maker look like he didn't know what he was doing! :grin:
Lou

·
Registered
8 Posts
But Lou,
Weren't you going to offer the new 1 3/8" belt with a taper (1/16" on each side) so that it would take the 1.25" buckle???
:grin: :wink:
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: p7Actuary on 2001-09-02 12:38 ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.