Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
As you all know, some companies like RRA and Les Baer offer a 1 1/2" @ 50 yards guarantee for an added premium. Most of their guns are guaranteed to shoot 2.5-3" at that distance WITHOUT the added "guarantee".

My thought is either you fit a barrel to the slide and bushing tightly and correctly or you don't. So what "extra" do they do to be able to claim that the pistol will have its groups shrunk by an additional 1-1.5" at 50 yards?

I've handled a standard Les Baer Premier II without the guarantee. I can't see how the barrel could be fitted any tighter. Is it that if you just buy the standard model, they give you the 'regular' fitting, but if you purchase the guarantee, they fit it up EXTRA TIGHT?!

Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Barrel-to-slide fit is "only" about, say, 90% of the accuracy equation. The rest is slide-to-frame fit and assorted other minescule improvements. The 1.5" guns are probably made to super-tight tolerances and then test fired to make sure they delivered. Note that a gun that is less tight generally but has a better-than-average match barrel could be just as accurate or maybe even better, which just goes to show how important the barrel and how it is fitted is. As an aside, bear in mind that some barrels, even those made by the same company, are going to have variations in accuracy. Also note that those accuracy guarantee guns are occasionally SO tight that they aren't reliable until you break them in with a large amount of ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.