Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a very nice, blued Series 80 Gold Cup. I love it save for those gargantuan Elliason sights which I hear from many don't last very long. Can anybody recommend a replacement set of adjustable sights that don't entail machining the slide? What about the Miniature Machine sights? Has anybody used those?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Brownells does not list an MMC sight for Gold Cup. I do not know of a replacement sight that does not require machining other than the Millett, but I don't see how it would be any better, the problem is not the sight, but its attachment. There is just nothing there to mount to except the small pin hole and elevation screw hole.
I have read that the old Colt Accro sight is somewhat more durable, the sight blade is recessed but it fits the same cut and is held down no better. I have also read that you can help the Eliason or Accro by replacing the roll pin with solid - something like the shank of a good quality drill bit, or a piece of spring wire, or welding wire. Size is 1/16".
And also by putting a small o-ring around the elevation screw or just a scrap of rubber wedged under the sight leaf to cushion it against recoil.
If you want something nice, Wilson makes a sight to fit, but it requires machining in for secure attachment. It does cover the Colt cut, which a Bomar would not. And they will install on a two-week turnaround. Not cheap, though, $215 for their regular sight, probably about the same for GC. I don't know if that would require a new front sight, but they would surely tell you if it did. Call 'em up.

G

·
FYI:
I have used the Millet tritium sight on the GC and it is fairly durable (it has not broken yet on my 10mm that is shot heavily).

I usually use a Heinie .200 dovetailed tritium sight for the front.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bomar makes (or used to make) a drop in sight for the Gold Cup that filled the groove in the slide and was basically a high mounted Bomar.

I got one from Brownell's about 5 years ago for my Combat Elite. I think it ran about $65-70 plus a taller front sight.

I may still have it, if you're interested, drop me a line and I'll look tonight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Almost to the price of another fixed sight slide? Keep the original for target shooting? I have seen broken Millets. There is a tiny snap ring on the windage screw, my two broke off there rendering it useless. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FriarTuck

As one of the other posts mentioned the problem with the Elliason sight is how it is mounted, not the sight itself. the situation is the roll pin vibrates out of its hole patially under recoil and then breaks. A friend has told me that the fix for this is to partially drift out the roll pin that holds the sight in place. Clean the pin and put a drop of blue lock tight on it, and drift the pin back in place.

Since others here are recommending replacing the pin with a hardened part, like a drill shank. This may not be as long lasting as the others.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought a series 80 SS Gold Cup NIB in 1987. Replaced Sight 'pin' W/Drill steel before I shot it. 500 230gr. Truncated Pin loads and 5000 Major Power Factor LSWC later I sold it.
The sight was still intact and the Blade was fine...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.