Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with my Kimber Pro Carry SLE that's driving me nuts. For the first 20-50 rounds it works great, but then it starts feeding erratically–the slide doesn't go fully into battery. All the rounds are drop-checked. The following has been done to the Kimber:

polished feed ramp, barrel chamber, breech face and underside of slide

installed Aftec extractor that is properly tuned (definitely made the feeding problem better)

throating was checked by a smith who said it was fine

the chamber seems okay since my reloads go kerplunk when dropped into it

I'm using CMC 10 rd. mags (same problem exists with Wilson 8-rounders)

18 pound Wolff spring (I'm reloading to IPSC PF–about 170 PF)

Precision 230 gr. RN bullets w/ 5.8 gr. VV 340 @ 1.245 OAL (I've tried different OAL's with the same problem). All reloads are crimped.

Does anybody have any ideas about could be causing the feeding problem? BTW, the spent brass ejects fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Howard

Based on everything you have done it seems like powder fouling would not be an issue. How do your ejected case look? Does it look like any brass is getting shaved duing the cycle? This also seems unlikely but it may be worth looking at.

Now for a few more off the wall questions. Are you rapid firing the 20-50 rounds, or slow firing? Once this starts to happen, does it continue for the remainder of your range session, or will it stop if you let the pistol sit for a while? Also how snug is your slide to frame fit? The reason I ask is during rapid fire heat will build up in the frame more rapidly than during slow fire. Since your Kimber has an aluminum frame, the frame will expand quicker than the slide will. If you have a tight slide to frame fit it is remotely possible that this expansion could cause added friction between the slide and frame slowing the slide action down. I know this is a wild idea, but considering what you have done so far you might want to try the following:

At your next range session, shoot your Kimber the way you normally do till it starts to feed erratically; count the number of rounds. Next let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes, longer is better. Then shoot it again. Does the situation continue right away, or does it take another x amount of rounds for it to reoccur? If the situation goes away, and comes back after another string of shooting your situation is probably temerature related and your pistol should go back to Kimber to have the frame and slide inspected.

I hope this helps.
Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
SBLars

I just saw that the SLE is stainless in another post, which means my suggestion is too far fetched. It also brings us back to square one.

Howard

I just noticed that you are using an 18 lb recoil spring. This is normal for a 5 inch pistol, but your Pro Carry uses Officer's length springs. Are you sure you are using a strong enough spring? According to Wolff's Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html) you should be using a 22 lb recoil spring. A light spring coupled with powder residue just might be what is causeing you situation.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.