Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems that not all things improve with age and you really can wear out the seemingly indestructible, myself included.

I will explain, after my usual all day shooting/testing session a few weeks back I realized that my hand/wrist still hurt over a week later. Now granted it is not out of the ordinary to shoot 300 rounds of full power .44 Magnums running drills with my matched 629s in a weekend of heavy magnum shooting and quite honestly I had grown accustomed to the numbness in both of my hands the following day.

Well recently it has stopped "going away" this led me to complain at home when typing, "mousing" on the PC and I have avoided the weight room to "give it a rest"

On this past Monday it was painful enough to seek medical attention.

Well, it seems that it is possible to wear out the cartilage in your wrist from extended shooting with heavy calibers and lightweight guns and Carpal Tunnel syndrome with additional nerve damage is one of the side benefits.

I knew something was happening about two years ago when my hands started feeling numb after the typical weekend shooting sessions and week long training classes.

I wanted to post this message here as the "hot" ammo and the "heavy" loads appeal to all of us a great deal and the topic most often comes up when discussing our preferred ammo.

I know that I am the probably the last person to give advice on this... really.
But in all seriousness, apparently this happens to shooters more than any of us want to admit.

I will be delaying my .41 Magnum, .44 Magnums, and short barreled tests for about four weeks to give my wrists my right hand especially time to heal.
I am going to have the surgery in August on my right hand and hopefully the left will improve, I shoot with both hands (true Ambi) so things should work out.

My gear will undergo some changes to include rubberized grips, probably some ported barrels, wrist wraps, a shooting glove (to actually wear it), gel mouse and wrist pads and weekly injections to ease the pain for now.

Symptoms, I am told include:
The obvious dull pain when using your hand/wrist, cracking, or popping when you make a fist or flex your grip, and pain when you squeeze an object.
Periods of numbness after exercise, typing, or shooting etc...

Anyhow, enough of my rambling.
It's Saturday, everyone go shoot some for me today.
:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-14 07:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-07-14 07:14, David DiFabio wrote:
My gear will undergo some changes to include rubberized grips, probably some ported barrels, wrist wraps, a shooting glove (to actually wear it), gel mouse and wrist pads and weekly injections to ease the pain for now.
WIMP! :wink:

I too am intermittently bothered by the symptoms you describe. My doctor confirms what you said about cartilage, carpal tunnel, and nerve damage.

Anytime you feel numbness in your hands, you are damaging nerves. Do whatever it is that is causing the numbness (power tools, shooting, even long sessions in front of your PC with the KEYBOARD or MOUSE) long enough, and the numbness won't go away. Nerve damage is cumulative. Short, infrequent damage is usually repairable. Long, continued, frequent damage is not.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear of this, David. Thanks for the advice, and I hope all ends well for you.
Best regards,
Clay

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...ouch.

...Know the feeling...or, lack of it, I should say. That's the exact description, and I'm sad when it comes to anyone. Mine started 3 years ago after working an extremely big tree for several hours...The next day I couldn't feel either of my hands when I got up...Never stopped...It's the same whenever I do a lot of climbing and sawing. Apparently the aggravation of gripping a ten lb.20cc whirling dervish with 30 or so razor blades spinning at about 3000rpm wears on you a bit...After a very few hours of holding it in a death grip to prevent dropping it 50ft or so...it causes the same numbness...Used to be painful...now I miss the pain...

...Get some rest David

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sorry to hear that David. The solution is to send all your guns to me so you won't be tempted to exacerbate that problem. :wink: Seriously, I hope it gets better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh yeah... That's a pisser isn't it? I am well acquainted with losing my carry and shooting options.

A few years ago, I was in a situation where I fell on my side with a suspect in my arms. Landed square on my left shoulder on the blacktop. The shoulder healed, but there is extensive nerve damage and I can't shoot well with my southpaw at all anymore. My back has also taken a beating over the years(cracked vertebrae, cracked and broken ribs, torn muscles)and I am now agonizing over having to give up my beloved full size 1911. It's become a painful chore to carry it for more than 6 hours at a time and the alternatives aren't all that palatable to me. (Oh yeah, my right wrist is becoming athritic from being crushed several years ago.)I have tried a friend's Pro Carry and it works for carry, but causes problems for my wrist. I'm thinking that a move to a mid to full size 9mm may be called for. Gotta deal with reality, no?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mute,
Don't count me out just yet, I spent the day with my wrist resting and wrapped.

It feels well enough to shoot at least 9x23 for s ahort period of time.
If I don't smell some cordite soon I will go into withdrawl and become a liberal.....
I'll tell you, I'm never going to make it for a week let alone a whole month.

I was at EB looking for a 1911 style pistol for the Play Station 2s the kids and I bought.

I figure a hard chromed, sim pistol for the PS2 with Heinies in an Alessi straight drop should carry me through wtih one of the MP5 sim guns for the PS1.

Where are all of the shooting sims?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-14 20:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
86 Posts
David, if you want to come to Chicago, I'll let you use my FATS machine. MP5's are for wimps, M240G is the path to enlightenment. Hope you heal. Semper Fidelis..Ken M

·
Registered
628 Posts
David,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Are they doing the surgery to relieve pressure on the medial nerve? I understand that's the standard way they go about it.

Gun sims? Don't you KNOW that those 'evil' video games turn kids into school shooters? :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken,
:wink:

JLM,
That is exactly what he is going to do, and radius the existing cartilidge (for smoother operation) and remove some of the scar tissue that has built up.
Belive it or not, after wearing the wrist brace all day (for once) and using my new ergonomic computer junk the wrist feels pretty good.

It does however make for a very long day, so far I ahve inventoried and counted all of my loose 10mm ammo from various places, preloaded all of my 10mm, 9x23, and .45acp magazines and reread the latest issues of all of the gun magazines in print after making the poor cashier girl wince as she was discussing her latest bought with X at Barnes & Noble when she saw the cover of a GUN Magazine.. On No :eek:

Reading the knife magazines made me realize that I could always spend my Saturdays whittling branches, cutting rope, and cleaning fish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to hear that David, it happens to many more than you may think. I develop cramps in both hands from gripping things like say lead bullets when reloading or cleaning them after they are loaded. Other things will key this cramping and it don't go away quickly. It does hurt and sometimes I have to stop shooting to rest my hands. My doctor offered medication to hold down the iflammation in my wrists. The cure(for me) is to operate on both wrists to increase the carple space so blood flow and nerves have room. I am not ready for that just yet!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I hope things go well for you David.

I got carried away several times, the last was with my 416 Rem. Mag. followed by 375 H&H plus a bunch of 7mm Mag. then a little hand trap with a friends 10 ga. Ithica Auto. It took about four weeks for my shoulder to regain a normal color (not black & blue) plus acked good for 6 months. Now they are shot with a 25 # bag of birdshot between the butt & shoulder from the bench!

I have read a lot of Elmer Keiths works and articles with "Hell, I Was There" my favorite. I don't recall too many times where Elmer shot much more than a cylinder or two at one time to save his hands.

It's great that there is a lot of gear available to help with our "take the cartridges home empty" range trips.

I looked at a Taurus .44 special Titanium again today and will be looking forward to your range reports on you new toys. Best Wishes, Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-07-14 23:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
David...although I doubt you would be looking to save money on a surgeon, if the thought crosses your mind...DON'T.

Find the best and get this done. Too many friends with knees that don't have full rom, too many F'd up rotator cuffs, elbows, necks, etc. Carpal tunnel can be a badass problem. Treat it with all the passion you would the BG who is trying to kidnap a child. Locate the best. If you need help on finding him / her, drop me a note.

Good luck, and oh...send me all your magnums...you will shoot them if you keep them. :lol:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bruce is right David :wink: I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself further, so I think you ought to ship me that Heinie 10mm gun, before you do any more harm :lol:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have something similar going on, but I don't think it's from the shooting. I am starting to try and keep track of things, but it almost seems like it might be related to the amount of WD-40 and mineral spirits I get my hands into. I use both pretty liberally in the shop as hoser-outers for guns, when working on them and for cleaning them. Starting to use rubber gloves when I'm really gonna get messy.... but it seems like some folks used to actually rub WD-40 in for aching joints....? Anyway, I frequently wake up with both hands sound asleep, and they sometimes go ZZZZ unexpectedly during the day. I don't think it's the handlebars on the bike either, that actually seems to happen less than in previous seasons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
David I am in the process of changing to 9mm 70 series. As I get older I find myself doing projects that in my earlier days I would pay to have done. My wife looks at me in disbelief. My body does not handle this very well. Knees shot from gymnastics and my right hand and both elbows hurt considerably. I hope that by changing to 9mm instead of 45 I have been shooting it will make a diff. So I know to some degree what you are going thru.
BTW heard that you may be comming to our part of the country in Nov. If so I will look forward to meeting you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gselph on 2001-07-16 07:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
285 Posts
David,

If you'd like to see a hand surgeon who's also a shooter, I know one who's going to be starting a residency (?) at Johns Hopkins in September -- Dr. Rich Kang, a heck of a nice guy and a High Master bullseye competitor.

Good luck with your recovery.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.