Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you that make holsters, where do you buy your leather from? It seems that some holsters use a very high quality leather and others use whatever is available. Which "cut" of the hide do you use, ie. side, back, shoulder, belly? I like to "dabble" in hobbies, just curious what you guys use.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Antq Colt Fan,, We buy from various tanneries, but we spec all our leather to be
#1 or A grade veg tanned leather, with gummed backs for smoothness. We buy only
double shoulders, or backs and only steerhide, not the normal cow that you would see at some of the leather retailers like Tandy, and The Leather Factory. Steerhide is much like horse hide in density, and durability. Horsehide is becoming hard to get in the quality I used to buy 20 years ago. We used to use a LOT of horsehide years back, but now that the American tanneries have the technology to smooth the backs of the leather, and provide American Steer hides to the holster makers, I don't think Horse has the advantages once attributed to it.
Lou

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Alessi,

You mentioned that you use steer hides because of their density, I have seen buffalo hides for sale, are they as dense as the steer hides?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mark Waldon has worked with buffalo (bison) a bit. I have one of his Rattler's in this material. Mark told me he has to split the hides to get thin enough leather for holster work. He also noted that the stuff was nearly scratch proof and while I haven't deliberately tried to damage my rig, I think he's right. The hide has a slight texture to it, so it's not as smooth as steerhide.

It definately looks like a viable material for holsters.

Rosco

·
Registered
849 Posts
Cape Buffalo,, ah, yes, I have had some of those hides, and they make up into beautiful holsters. I'll have to look into that.. Thanks for the tip Colt Fan.
Lou

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Louis F. Alessi on 2001-07-08 23:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have several pair of shoes made out of bison leather [or so they say]. They have worn really well.

Forget the name of the manufacturer, although it is an American company.

Lou, have you ever considered buying the steer hides...and having the tanning work done? Or, is it not worth the effort?

Bruce

ps...David, have you seen the Alessi ray pond? Quite amazing. We have attempted to poach from it, but so far have had no luck shocking them to the surface. How he gets them out of their, and to shed their coats, I have no idea.

Btw, once hooked a 'ray off Key West...my gawd what powerful beasts they are!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.