Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have heard, read, studied, etc. the merits of both the glock 21 and the ruger p97. i am going to purchase 1 of these models. would love to hear your pros, cons, problems, etc. from the owners of these 2 pieces. thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
To start I think either gun will work reliably and that is job #1 for me. With that said I think the glock is the better gun. With the glock I would say just put some heinie sights on it, consider having the grip reshaped and reduced in size if your hands are not large (mine are not).

Now that I have said that I think that there is a real place for the ruger. It costs several hundred dollars less and it is a rugged and reliable gun. I never wanted one before. Recently I got a baer TRS and I really, really like it. Now I do want a ruger P97. The reason is I think it is a very good beater gun. I do not intend here to come off as a snob, to me it is a matter of mating the tool to the job. To me it would be nice to have a gun that I would feel very comfortable taking camping or canoeing. I would not really want to do that with my baer. I know that it would fill the bill nicely, but to me it represents a very significant expenditure of money and I want to protect it. I don't want to protect it so much that I won't shoot the snot out of it or carry it, but I don't really want it to fall in a river either. So, for my money if the gun is going to be a primary carry or hard use gun I would suggest the glock. If it is going to be a secondary hard use utility gun then I would go for the ruger. Again, I don't think you can go wrong either way here. If the gun is reliable and well made, as both of these guns are, then the effectiveness of the gun will have much more to do with how much you practice than with the actual type of firearm. I'm sure we'll get some other interesting answers here shortly. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.

One last small tidbit though: When I finally got my TRS, after 15 years of buying less expensive guns because I couldn't be patient and save up for what I knew I really wanted I was really happy that I finally got a gun that really was exactly what I wanted. There is something to be said for not compromising at all. If you can I think you should wait and get what ever you really, really want. I had to sell 5 guns to get my TRS. Now I only have one centerfire pistol, but I am very happy with that choice. For me it is far better to have one really, really good quality item than 5 that are very much above average but will never be in the same class as the one really good one. Good shooting. Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.