Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have, and carry a HK USP .45 in full size and I love it, but there are occasions that it is a little too heavy. My wife carries a Walther PPK/S in .380 and she loves that, but there are times she would like something a little bigger. So looking at something in between, I would like to get a 9mm, and I have narrowed my choices down to these 3"

Glock 17 Compensated
Walther P99 (in 9mm)
HK USP compact (in 9mm)

I don't seem to have any place around here where I can actually shoot all 3 of these side by side to see what I like better. So I thought I would through it out on the table on the forum to see if there is anyone out there that has had the chance. Any input + or - on these 3 weapons would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
LionHeart!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would choose the non-compensated Glock 17 or model 19. The Glock's ergonomics are better then the USP (I never had any experience with the Walther). The grip is thinner and less boxy compared to the HK, and you are also able to get a higher hold on the Glock.

I do not like compensated carry guns, due to the fact that in a defensive encounter you may have to shoot in a less then ideal position in a less than ideal place. There is a chance that you may be injured from the gasses blowing out of the compensator (i.e. if the bad guy/gal is too close to fully extend your arms).

The coolest thing about Glocks is that you can send them to Dane Burns for a grip reduction to make them feel more like a 1911. I have not had this done to my Glock, but the reviews and testimonials are great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys,
That is a good thought with the compensated glocks in a bad situation. I was only thinking compensated because it would make it easier on my wife for practicing, because she isn't real fond of the sharp snap of the g17 with hot loads. She can handle it, but I don't think she would like to practice alot with it because of it. It might be better to go without it though.
Thanks,
LionHeart!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have both a 17 & a P99. The Walther "wins" hands-down when it comes to its SA trigger pull & break. Glocks trigger reset is Great but the P99's is even better. The advantage of having 3 ea. grip inserts is even greater for a Lady.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have recently given up carrying my Glock (27 or 23) in favor of my Walther P99/.40S&W (same size as the 9x19).

I really like the DA of the Walther. It is smoother than any HK, SIG, S&W or Beretta DA/SA pistol that I have ever owned or fired and there have been many.

I find it easy to conceal in a Milt Sparks SS2 or Blade-Tech IWB holster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jmichael on 2001-11-14 11:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
124 Posts
Three very different choices. I have owned a compensated Glock and have carried a G17 as a duty weapon. I would recommend neither for concealed carry. The P99 is an excellent weapon but not very compact. If you like the Glock, the G19 is an excellent carry weapon. I own a G23 in .40 (same size as the G19) and it is my preferred carry pistol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.