Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Bar-Sto barrel do you gunsmiths out there prefer to use when building custom guns, the "semi drop in" or the "match target?"

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
I prefer the "Match target barrels as they are oversized in the important fitting areas. They are more time consuming and more difficult to fit than the drop in barrels. The semi drop ins are easy to fit and you can get really good results with them. Unless you really understand barrel fitting and want to spend the time and get the tools, I would reccomend the the semi drop in barrels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I'm preparing to get some work done on a GM and thought I might purchase the barrel and ship it with the gun. I'm guessing the match target is the best bet because it would privide more material for the gunsmith to work with. Thanks again for the reply, I was beginning to wonder if I was asking someone to give up a trade secret.

Tim

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Tim,
You would be much better served to actually ask the smith who is fitting the barrel what they prefer. Irv cuts several different spec barrels for a 1911, date and model is specific. The barrel that I would choose is dependant on the base gun. ASK your smith. You'll be better served. No matter the original spec of the barrel, how the barrel is fit is 99% of how it will shoot. A drop-in (correctly fit) from Stone will generally shoot 2" at 50 yards just as advertised by BarSto.. Most plumbers can't get that from a match barrel fit and hours of work. Your money is better spent talking to your smith and seeing what his prefereneces are. They may not even be a BarSto. Mine are, I know Steve's preferences is a Scheumann. Others are enthralled with Kart. All all excellent barrels. It is how it is fit that is important.

Good luck :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-17 23:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dane,
Thanks for the reply. Funny, as I hit the submit button on my last post I thought to myself " I bet it depends on the individual gunsmith's preference for the gun he's working on." I should have listened to myself.

Take care,

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts