Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through the Brownells catalog and have found a couple of synthetic Ivory grips that I'm interested in. Ajax sells some smooth grips they call Ivory Polymer and Navidrex has Double Diamond checkered Ivory Micarta. I think I'd rather have smooth grips but I have the impression that Micarta is a better material. Is there any significant difference between these materials as far as strength or resistance to solvents?

Thanks for any info,

Pat

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Ivory micarta is made up of sheets of high-grade paper. Since real ivory grows in layers, the layers of micarta look very much like the real thing. Some people have had luck soaking paper micarta in strong tea to give it that aged look, but it didn't work too well for me.
I've made a number of grips from this, and have had knowlegable people think it's real ivory.
I've found no common solvent that will attack it, and it's strong stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfariswheel on 2001-07-15 22:08 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Eagle grips has a new fake ivory that they say is the best available. Since they have made thousands of grips from real ivory those are whayt I would by in fake.

The checkered Micarta from Brownells isn't very satisfactory IMO. It is white and "bullet proof" but isn't like ivory in any other way that I can tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.