Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fixin to buy a Kimber Custom to shoot for a while and then ship off to Dane for a FED package with parkerized finish. Should I buy the Custom Classic (blued) or the Custom Stainless...or does it matter?

Also..I guess this is directed to Dane....do you recommend shooting a gun and if so how many rounds prior to doing the above mentioned work...thanks

take care

nms

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NMS on 2001-09-23 03:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
350 Posts
I went through this whole deal you are going through already. The myraid of decisions and options. What worked best for me was just to call Dane (or your smith of choice) and pick his brain for 10 minutes on the phone instead of playing e-mail tag for 4 days. In my case there was a fair amount of other information he wanted in order to make recommendations: How much do I shoot a year? Is the gun for carry or competition or what? Where do I live? (for finish considerations I think). Anyway, I think it saved some time to just call. I could be wrong, but for me that worked better.

Good luck brother, let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Jake

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Blue if you want a parked gun..

It will save you some money up front on the purchase too.

Hope that helps, but feel free to call me in the shop anytime, Mon thru Sat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
NMS

I hate to recommend this, because I like the deep blue Kimber applies but it may save you some problems down the road. If you want Dane to Parkarize your pistol as part of his work, besure to buy the Kimber Classic Royal. There have been reports of the Kimber Classic acually comming with a stainless frame instead of the expected carbon steel. There is no way to tell until the factory finish is stripped with the Classic.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with the post above. I recently got RH356 from Richard Heinie and the frame of the Custom Classic is stainless steel...which is what I wanted, anyway. It is true the "blue" guns have SS parts (sometimes).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.