Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a new folder soon. But I'm having a hard time deciding which on to get. First, I narrowed it down to a Spyderco, or one of the Cold Steel Voyagers (tanto blade). If I go with the Sypderco, it would either be a Delica or Endura.
If I go with the Cold Steel, should I go for the medium blade (3") or large blade (4"). I want something that is versatile, since I'll be using it for day to day things (cutting boxes and other things), as well as keeping it clipped in my pocket for self defense.
Can't decide between the Sypderco and Cold Steel. I like the look of the Voyager tanto, and hear that knife is strong as hell. What is easier to open quickly...the button tab on the Voyager's blade, or the Spyderco thumb hole?
Also, should I get the 50/50 (half serrated), or the plain edge?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm kind of fond of the Delica with the 1/2 serrated blade. It's a decent general purpose knife, and it's cheap enough that you won't feel too bad if you lose it.

A couple of steps up the ladder is the Benchmade mini-AFCK. For my money the best all-around folder available. I gave mine to my wife, so now I'm carrying an Emerson CQC7. I like it, but it's not anywhere near as versatile as the AFCK.
Chad

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use the Delica with 1/2 serrated for general chores as well. I don't carry it for tactical/self defense use, however. The Delica is very sharp and is perfect as a box opener, or any other general use function. I find that there is not enough strength in this style of lock ( I prefer liner locks) on the Delica which would make me somewhat uncomfortable using this knife for anything "serious". Note also the somewhat thin pin that secures the blade to the handle. I have a couple Delicas that show a fair bit of side to side play when you grasp the blade and try to bend it from the handle when in the open position. I find the pivot end of the handle/blade to be completely lacking in any tactical use strength.

I don't own any Cold Steel products, so I can't comment on these. I do like tanto blades however. I carry a CRKT M16-10F tanto folder as my "work" knife.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Given the choices you've presented, I'd personally take the Delica. As to the 50/50 blade, it depends on whether you'll be a great deal of cutting chores. In everyday, general use, the serrated edge can be quite useful.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Have you looked at the Spyderco Native? I've been using one for 2 years now and I'm pretty hard on my folders...In and out of trees all day, cutting everything from rope to cardboard to minor surgery...LOL...very minor...It's been a good one and you have the choice of plain or 65/35 plain/serrated. Holds a good edge and hasn't broken or slipped out of a pocket or off a lanyard...

...just a thought :wink:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ken, I have had no professional training with a knife, but I did and do feel that having one around is a good idea. I have bought a few but the one I like best is the CQC-7. I have one with the black T and a 50/50 serrated/plain edge. I have had it for over 6 years and it is still a very functional knife. I have had it in the ocean, the mud and the rain, the finish is still mostly there and it is holding up beautifully. I have heard and read that cold steel knives are really much stronger than my CQC-7, but I have used mine for everything from a screw-driver to a hammer and it is still going strong. I attached a small flat flashlight to it with a piece of cord and it is unobtrusive. My only beef is that the clip has opened a bit through the years and I would like it to be more secure. My CQC7 has a dual thumb stud so I can open it from either side, which I like and think is hand. Mine cost me 100 bucks while I stationed in Monterey about 6 years ago, they are perhaps more expensive now, but anyway, I am happy with mine. Another knife I liked a lot was the Nimvarus cub, a small fixed blade knife which was very unobtrusive to wear, but then I found out that Virginia does not allow me to wear a fixed blade because that is a deadly weapon. A cocked and locked 45? Sure, not a problem, but a fixed blade knife? No way, that is deadly. Go figure. I have always wanted to own a randall knife but never found the money to do so. If I get another knife I think it will be a gunsite folder from cold steel, but that will just be me wanting a new toy, as my cqc7 is still doing its job everyday just fine. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope you never have to use it against a person, if you need to I hope its there.
Jake

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ken;
When I answered your question at another site I guess I didn't get all the info that I should have out of it.If you like Spyderco (I do) and you like a tanto design check out the Spyderco Bob Lum.I don't know your price restrictions but this knife is now available with partially serrated black blade and G-10 scales with a liner lock.Go to http://www.knifecenter.com for the best selection and best prices with pictures and links to manufacturers sites, on the internet.Cold Steel makes some very good knives although I prefer their fixed blades to folders.A properly designed handle and pocket clip should stay in your pocket without the need for a sheath.I have carried everyday for 10+ years with nothing but a pocket clip and have never lost one.Some manufacturers seem to think that a pocket clip is a design/style feature and not a utility,SOG comes to mind here as their pocket clips are skeletonized and very frail.The original Spyderco pocket clip design is the most durable effective design to date (imo) they can be tuned and if bent can be repaired/replaced very easily.You will find this design in use under license by many of the majors(including Benchmade).Look at some older customs by Allen Elishewitz and you'll find Spyderco clips.Plastic clips by any manufacturer and of any design SUCK..period. Check out the Knife Center before you buy they have a whats new page that will generally have knives listed for sale before they are written up in the knife rags.Very current,You will find that Bob Lum on that page.Sorry to be so long winded and opinionated but I have used-up more knives than most folks, oh by the way...tactical don't mean shit,it sells knives.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Plastic clips from Spyderco don't suck. I've carried their knives (for years), used and abused them, and the plasic clip has ever broke. I have heard of people breaking them but it has not happened to me. I like their knives with the metal clips but have managed to mess several of these clips up. Working tight area, trying to squeeze my big butt these area I have managed to catch these metal clips (not matter where I put the knife)and damage them. I have never caught the rounded design of their plastic clips on anything to my recollection. The first thing I noticed on their metal clips was how often I caught them on something. I understand they have come out with a new design Military model. The one I had stripped out the holes when I caught the clip. It seems like I have to apply locktite to everyone of the screws on these metal clips to keep them from loosening up!

I have not purchased a new Spyderco in good while. All I can say is, for my day to day carry and use, the metal clipped Spyderco knives I currently own have caused me far more problems than the plastic.

Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you break the clip off of your Spyderco and send it back to them for warranty they will put a metal clip on it and send it back.I'm sure that the method of carry has much to do with the survivability of any clip.I recently hung the clip of my Kershaw on a restaurant booth seat and pulled off the clip/screws/brass bushings in the scales and all.A little superglue and snapped back together better than new.Cold Steel discontinued all of the plastic clipped Voyagers and replaced with substantial metal units.If you want to tailor a clip to fit something very thick(web gear) or thin(suitcoat liner pocket)you can.With plastic you got what you got and thats all your gonna get.It's just my opinion but nothing says "cheap" like a plastic pocket clip and riveted construction.But if they work for you ...more power to ya.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cheap may be what they look like but they performed like champs. :grin: I've sent three knives back to the factory, not because of clips being bent, but the damage done when the clip came out. They are just far to easy to catch on something (poor design or to weak of material). Nothing says unhandy or slow more to me than a one-armed man knife you have to fish out of your pocket :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oddly enough, I just broke the plastic clip on a Spyderco Delica last week. It worked fine for many years of general use until I bumped into a workbench and the clip snapped off.

For now I'm using another plastic-clipped Delica as a replacement. :smile:

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-06-10 21:28, bgenlvtex wrote:
Well...you better stock up on 'em if you want 'em because a quick review of Spyderco's product line says "we don'make no plasteek cleeps no mo'." Must be a commie plot to make us use them metal clips:)LOL
Well stocked right now! Guess when it comes down to it and they become worn out or broke :roll: The only knife with a metal clip I've really liked was made by Scott Sawby, the rest I just live with!

Tim

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hello everyone!
I have many Spyderco's, one Delica has an
interesting story....it was dusk and I was
cleaning my doves by a wash and lost my
Delica. I was pissed! I searched until it
was obvious that darkness was going to make
it impossible to find it. Tab forward to
next years dove season, cleaning my days
effort at the same wash and viola! there it
was! With only a couple of freckles of rust
on the blade. I sent it to Spyderco to be
sharpened, and they sent it back looking
almost new. I've treated this knife pretty
hard, and it's still in great shape. That
being said, I also like most of the Emerson
products, even though they have their
problems. For a fixed blade I like the Laci
Szabo UUK or the double edge blades of Al
Polkowski. For just straight-up abuse of
a knife, and not really using it for it's
intended purpose, I like the Cold Steel SRK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you are looking for possibly the finest knife, get a Spyderco Wenger-available in a small and large half serrated or plain. Excellent knife.

Another option is Columbia River Knie and Tool they have a great line-up. Or SOG has some nifty clip-its.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-06-12 18:06, abnranger wrote:
If you are looking for possibly the finest knife, get a Spyderco Wenger-available in a small and large half serrated or plain. Excellent knife.

Another option is Columbia River Knie and Tool they have a great line-up. Or SOG has some nifty clip-its.
The Spyderco Wegner is a great knife (zero play). Its the only Spyderco Knife to date that I've not managed to screw up the metal clip. I have the large one. It definitely has some weight to it, but seated in the front pocket with the clip I don't notice it.

Tim

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-12 18:06, abnranger wrote:
Another option is Columbia River Knie and Tool they have a great line-up.
I must say, I am a TOTAL novice when it comes to knives, but I picked up a CRKT M16 last year, and have simply loved it. At $40, the price is hard to beat, the blade opens very quickly, and easily, and locks solid. Years ago, all I ever carried was a Buck 110, so for me, the M16 was a significant shift to a lightweight clip-folder, far superior to the Buck.

I am probably not as hard on a knife as most people might be, but the edge has held very well. It does need to be sharpened though.

I suppose, one of these days, I will get a Benchmade, or even an Emerson, and see what the differences are, but for now, I am content with my 'cheapy' knife.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A refreshing thread. I often see folks talking about $300 titanium/graphite space knives, which are no doubt fine knives, but nothing I'd own.

I have a Meyerco Speedster (paid $25) which I've been ipressed by. It is about 3.5" with heavy fiberglass/nylon slabs. It has a lot of synthetic in it, but it's built like a tank.

I've never had a knife hold an edge as well as this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.