Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a 9x23 defensive type gun with a high cap frame. Which frame would you guys say is the best to use for a new project? I have an SVI gun that I like very much, but getting something from SVI is impossible. What about a new Caspian machined high cap frame? I have an old first generation cast frame Caspian that has been a good gun. I have no experience with anything from STI. I would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Robe,

Welcome to the forum. I think I own a pistol like you have described. Check out my previous thread on my STI 9x23. You can see it here.

Interesting how many of us think a hi-cap 9x23 would be the cat's meow of carry guns. Just curious, what inspires you to seek a double stack 9x23? Do you have a single stack 9x23? For whatever reason, I think you will enjoy the round in a hi-cap form.

What SV do you have now? You do know you can buy the SV or STI as frames and have a gunsmith build the rest for you? No need to worry about what SV is willing to do -- although I am not sure what you mean by "getting something from SVI is impossible"? Anyway, from my perspective, I think either an SV or STI is the way to go for a double stack. Excellent quality and plenty of pre-ban mags are available. I would pass on the Caspian idea. If my BCP-STI Talisman is what you had in mind for a defensive gun, then I think you will be VERY happy with the end result. :smile:

DD

·
Registered
555 Posts
STI just like the SV...I have both..good product...STI..good customer service..mags are easy to find..There are some hi caps on auction arms and some on the USPSA classifieds..The Caspian is a good frame..but a gun would be a bit heavier..mags are also hard to find, but I think there were some on the USPSA classified site too. Para P-18 might be away to go to..Lots of options..Me, I'd go with a STI..1. because I am used to one, 2. I can find mags in all lengths (126mm carry, 130mm std, 140mm and 170mm)and 3. not as heavy. Sounds fun, now I may have to add one to my list of to do guns..have fun.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would go with an STI over a Caspian or SV. SV takes too long to deal with and Caspian mags are hard to find and expensive.

Two years ago I built an STI aluminum frame and SV aluminum slide in 38 Super and I love it. I should weigh it one of these days. I know it’s not much.

Good luck to you.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all te input. Here's some more info. I have a SVI 40 cal. Limited type gun and really like it alot. I like large or double stack guns. They feel good to me and I have no problem with the grip of a double stack. I love SVI products and designs, but I find it tough to want to buy their products because of a total lack of service. Nobody answers the phone-just a machine. Nobody returns a message. Emails go unanswered. I have a gun on order with them now for 8 months and there is no way to find out the status of my order.From phone calls to a couple of SVI dealers, slides are in short supply or nonexistent. I do not know of someone with a frame/slide kit in stock to sell. I kinda like having the frame and slide from the same company, but may have to give on that idea.
I just got a Caspian high cap 38super gun with a cast receiver thru a trade and got 4 high cap mags and two 10 round mags. I thought about another Caspian becuase I already have the mags to use.
I have never shot or held an STI framed gun. They look great and I am sure are similar to SVI guns. If STI has a warm body to answer their phone, they have got SVI beat. Desert Dog's gun looks great. I would be happy with that. If I went with and SVI or STI, I would need to buy more mags.
Everyone sounds partial to the STI or SVI so another choice would be to sell/trade off the Caspian and then build another gun. I would enjoy doing that too. Much to consider. I appreciate all the advice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Robe,

You can get STI short block frames from Brownells. The non ramped model w/standard dust cover is $382.95. The part number is 791-250-001. Personally, I wouldn't worry about finding an STI slide. My suggestion would be to get a Caspian barstock slide and have a gunsmith fit it. You could buy just the frame and have a smith do the rest. Naturally, I would recommend Dane, as my BCP-STI 9x23 is an awesome running tackdriver. But there are many other smiths hanging around here that could build a nice pistol for ya too. However, if you want a Talisman, then Dane Burns is da man! :cool: See his web site here.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-05-11 12:58 ]</font>

G

·
I too would recomend the STI frame, I have an STI high cap unramped 9x23 that is very similar to DD's except mine has Bomar Tritium adj. sights with an STI top end on it.
I used an Arredondo mag kit with my pre-ban mag bodies and with 140mm mags my gun holds 22 in the mag and one in the chamber.

I liked this gun enough that I sent a 10mm STI frame/slide to George at EGW to fit and setup with a Barsto 10mm unramped barrel.
A 20rd 10mm semi-lightweight gun just seems "right" to me....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Robe...I was in your position about 6 months ago. Called around, looked around, then, saw Desert Dog's pistol. It was exactly what I wanted. So, called and ordered one from Dane. If it functions anything like the single stack 9x23 I have from him...it will be awesome :grin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
DD, can you spec out your pistol? I am building a 9x23mm on a SVI SS Frame, and am still in the market for a slide. SVI told me that if I ship them my Frame, they could fit a slide to it in about SIX months time. Any thoughts on Slides - SS vs. Blue Carbon Steel?

Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frank Sottile on 2001-07-02 23:49 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts