Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious delema. I got permission from the Boss (I love her) to get a $600ish gun of my choice. I started out with five models to chose from. I quickly ruled it down to the USP and the Walther P99. My interest is waining on the P99. Now I can't decide whether to get the .40 or .45. I am a big 1911 man so I figured that a full sized .45 is my 1911. I'd like the compact USP, but which caliber. Thanks.

G

·
FWIW,
I own them all and the P99 has the best ergonomics and is by the far the easiest pistol to shoot for me.

I order the Mil Spec model that comes with Trijicon night sights and 16rd mags and I really, really like it.

It is far and away my favorite polymer pistol and I have absolutely no delussions as to the lethality of the 127gr Ranger T +P+ and Remington 115gr Golden Saber +P+ rounds I keep staggered in the first few mags. After those it is onto straight THV rounds as the BG must be wearing aramid clothing.

If you do not like the P99, the HK USP357c would be my second choice.

· Registered
23 Posts
I own both and prefer the H&K. Mine is a Tactical, but it's the same frame and can't say enough about the gun! I like my P99/.40 but don't shoot near as much as my H&K. I too favor the .45 ACP. A nice round that thumps rather than snaps.
Good luck.!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That settles it!! I ended up trading my new SA Ultra Compact for the .45 USP compact. I tend to be a little fickle sometimes. I plan on graduating with my Master's in a year and a half. My wonderful wife said that maybe I can get a compact CQB then. I knew I would be selling my SA at that time. I decided to sell it now and get the USP/C. From handling it and really researching it, I think I'll be happy.

By the way...I picked it up for $619. That's $600ish!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Methuselah on 2001-08-16 23:37 ]</font>

G

·
Buzz,
As a former Fed I was able and authorized to use them and I learned to like them.

Additionally, they are only controlled in the US and are widely available in most countries were I have worked.

As an FYI, the THV is also not covered under the destructive devices laws and AP ammo is not illegal to posess, the "Clinton law" (insert name of political mouthpiece) prohibited the manufacturer and importation of ammunition with a hardened core or a metallic projectile designed to be AP.
The THV is restricted from manufacture and importation under that law.

One other round that was actually more effective than the THV was the Mag Safe Fast Hardball round that also perforates soft body armor very effectively but gives much better soft tissue performance was also banned.

The MagSafe miniglock 9mm & 40 S&W loads in full size pistols and the SuperSwat .45 load also produce the same effects with greater wound ballistics and are cheaper than the THV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.