Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some 230gr FMJ .45 ball for range sessions soon. I don't reload, so I'm looking for the cheapest ammo that is still of decent quality, and at least somewhat clean (not overly dirty). I want to take good care of my 1911, so I don't want the really cheap junk ammo. CCI Blazer and Sellior and Bellot seem go for a decent price. Are they good for range sessions? Or is it worth it to pay a little extra for the big brand names like Federal American Eagle, Winchester, etc?
Also, where is the best place online to mail order the ammo?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm a big fan of S&B ammo. I've shot cases and cases of it in .40 and .45. It's always gone bang and seems to be reasonably accurate. Natchez Shooters Supply http://www.natchezss.com generally has pretty good prices on it.

Chad

·
Registered
149 Posts
I liked what Chad Ward had to say and ordered about 500 rounds! S&B shoots well in the .45 and provides me with ready ammo when I fail to reload a new supply.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since I tend to use Federal Hydrashok's for carry, I try to use the AE's for practice, and for the most part, they do tend to impact pretty much the same with my guns.

I am getting into reloading as well, and will be 'cooking' up my own at some point, to help lower costs, and shoot more.

One thing I will be looking for is finding loads that approximate each other in terms of accuracy, but with lower recoil for practice/match use, and stouter loads for defense. In 45, the defense loads will be mostly 230, but some may be 185's depending on how testing goes, and practice will be 200 HBRN's from Berry's, and I hope to get good results. Time will tell...

·
Registered
79 Posts
So you want clean, good, and cheap ammo? I take it that the ammo is to shoot in your lightest, large caliber, and no recoil gun? Sorry, I could not resist. S&B is good ammo, but I find it dirtier than many of the other brands. You can save a lot of money by going with something like Blazer, but it is as dirty as S&B. For a little more money, I found Fiocchi to be clean and reliable and all your shooting buddies who reload will love picking up your brass. Fiocchi powder burns much cleaner and leaves cleaner cases on the ground, hence why the reloaders love the stuff. I got tired of subsidizing my reloading buddies and am now shooting Blazer with aluminum cases. The only cheaper way to go is with Wolf, but Wolf ammo may be awful in your gun (it was in mine) and it quite dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.