Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Buzz, and I'm a gunaholic.

It's been about a month or so since my last purchase, and I really want to fall off the wagon again. I've recently set my sights (pun intended) on the USP compacts. But, the question comes down to caliber: .40, .357Sig, or .45.

I own other pistols in all these calibers so ammo isn't a real issue. It will be used for general use as well as concealed carry. I know the .45 is accurate but what's the accuracy like for the others? I just had a bad experience with accuracy out of a Glock 22 so I'm a bit wary of the .40.

· Registered
5 Posts
357Sig is discontinued, isn't it? That might be the best one for the long run. I shot one in a Sig229 and it did an awesome job. Good shooter and good long term investment. I wish the 357Sig was available in the fullsize USP cause I would have one.

· Registered
20 Posts
you can always get a usp/c 40 and get a 357 barrel. I have the usp/c 45 and uspc/9 and I like the 9's size better-the compact 45 is close to being mid sized.
I also like the 9mm because I can get 9mm ammo for about $80/case around here.
cheers,
Derek

G

·
My choice recently was the USPC SS in .357Sig
w/tritium sights and I could not be more pleased with it.

I have been forced to retire/sell most of my .45 and 10mm collection due to hand/wrist problems and moved "down" to the .357.

It is very mild to shoot and easy to control at speed, it points well and it is very accurate with my chosen Winchester Ranger ammo.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own enough 9mms to equip a small army. And the USPc in 9mm is a little too big for the caliber, since I can't get the standard capacity mags.

Assuming I find a .357, can it be converted over to .40 and still function reliably? I've heard HK frowns on this conversion and won't guarantee it. Just goes to show that .40-.357 Sig is not automatically interchangeable.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the .357 AND the .45. Yeah, that might be the only way to solve this terrible dilemma. :wink:

By the way, does anyone else experience an unusual amount of torque with the .45? I tried it once and it seemed to pull heavily to the right. I'm going to go back tonight and try again. Maybe I was just tired the other time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: buzz_knox on 2001-09-07 10:04 ]</font>

· Registered
8 Posts
Buzz,

The USPc 357Sig is alive and well and yes it can be converted to .40S&W with nothing more than a barrel change. The Compact 357Sig and Compact .40S&W are the same gun except for barrels and markings.

I have all three compacts, .45ACP, .40S&W and 357Sig. The 357Sig is my daily carry gun and the most accurate of the three, but not by much.

Whichever you purchase, enjoy. :smile:

BTW: I've never experianced any torque with the Compact .45.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.