Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has experience with a 36? I have heard more good than bad about it. How does it handle, as compared to a 30? How's the accuracy? I saw on another thread that there was a incomplete guide rod on a newly received weapon, but any other problems?

G

·
Chris,
I use a model 36 and I have found it to function/feed perfectly.
I have also found it to be very accurate with 230 grain ammo.
I do however hate the grip shape and intend to take a belt sander to the front frame grooves.
I really like the flat profile of the frame/slide but they seriously missed the boat with the long/flat grip feel.
My G36 has consumed over 1,200 rounds of ball and JHP wihtout a single jam/break or defect, I have so far found it to be the most accurate out of the box -stock Glock pistol I have purchased.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had great success with my Glock 36. I've got almost 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions or problems. It's a dream to carry and even more fun to shoot. Out of all my Glocks it's my favorite. I owned the G30 but wasn't happy with the way it fit my hand (really small hands) as well as how wide the gun was overall. Super accurate thought, almost amazingly so. Overall the G30 was a treat and I hated selling it, but it didn't work for me. With the G36, all of the things I didn't like about the G30 are gone, but otherwise it's the same gun. Hopefully Glock will now build a full size slim-line .45 and keep a good thing going.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, i have the 30 and the 36. I have the bad luck of getting the 36 long before it was available in the United States. For that, i have the old magazines, that weren't reliables at all. I t was near sure, that when i put five bulletes in it, the first round never go into battery. And sometimes, also with the six rounds. I recently aquired one of the new ones, and reliability improves dramatically. The older ones have an open front. I recently read an article from Ed Sanow, where he said that the delay in the U.S. availability for the pistol, was due to the need of redesign the magazines. And they did it well. Besides this, the pistol perfoms very well, at least in rapid fire, with more recoil than the 30 with faster bullets and is a joy to carry. The only other flaw i encounter, apart form the bad magazines, is the somehow heavy trigger. It is, at least in mine, different from the other Glocks i have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oz,
The one I had on loan was 100% reliable. I did have a little trouble shooting good groups with it but that was an operator headspace problem. It even carried well in one of Lou's ankle rigs!!!!!

Now just get off the $$ and buy you one. I don't think you will go back to the G-30. If you do, I'll give you $250 for the G-36.

All The Best,

Rob

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2001-04-30 13:30, David DiFabio wrote:

I do however hate the grip shape and intend to take a belt sander to the front frame grooves.
David:

I agree with you COMPLETELY about the "politically correct" finger grooves on ALL the new Glocks. I think a belt sander would be appropriate, if they would let me do it to the issued G-19.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2001-05-01 08:34, Rob Garrett wrote:
Oz,

Now just get off the $$ and buy you one. I don't think you will go back to the G-30. If you do, I'll give you $250 for the G-36.
You see my friends, how my compadre Rob is always looking out for my best interests? Jeez... :roll:

Rob, as you know, my G-30 has been relegated to its place of repose in Ye Olde Gun Safe since the issuance of the "one gun fits all" unit. You should have kept the 36 you got for T&E, and then let me buy it from YOU for $250.00, considering it would have been used and, knowing you, probably really dirty... :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Oslin on 2001-05-01 20:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 36 I tested wasn't nearly as accurate as the phenomenal Glock 30. I've used a couple of those and they are fantastic.

One evening, a friend and I consumed copious amounts of 230gr +P 45 through a 36 and a 30. We paused only to fill magazines. I fired both guns for group later and neither was hurt at all by the firepower display.

The 36 feels better to me, the 30 is more (bench-tested) accurate.

I shoulda kept one of them . . .

Rich

·
Registered
418 Posts
The biggest problem I have with the 36 is the hump in the back of the grip. While the angle is the same as on the 30, the narrower grip changes the feel. It's a bit uncomfortable just holding it and when I fire it, it completely turns me off to the weapon. I'd like to see Glock (or someone such as the Danester) shave off that hump and give the the grip a flat profile, like with a 1911 flat mainspring.

Anyone agree with that or know of it being done?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree totally about the grip. I've been carrying a G36 off-duty for about 3 months now, and I'm in love with it. Now that summers coming on here in the Midwest, I need to get a good IWB holster for it (any suggestions). It's been totally reliable and more accurate than I'll be under stress. I would like to see someone take a sander to the frame, though and get rid of the finger grooves and the "humped" back strap.

Eric

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a Versa-Max 2 from Tony Kanaley at Milt Sparks, and I carry my G-19 in it, and the thing absolutely disappears in that rig.

I cannot recommend that rig enough.

I am told by the Danester and Luigi that they have collaborated on a new holster, that is supposed to be the way to go. I can't wait to see one.

G

·
I carry my model 36 in a Rosen ARG and I am very happy with it.
FYI:
I took the Harrts Mercury filled stainless recoil reducer/guide rod manufactured for the model 29/30 and installed it into my G36, now I no longer need to worry about a broken G36 plastic rod and the Harrts really works, muzzle snap is noticeably reduced and the little 36 now feels as mild as the G23.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I taught the Texas CHL training 39 times before retiring to southwestern Colorado. Having had an FFL for 21 years, I have owned about every handgun on the market, some more than once. For my needs, the G36 is the best thing going for reliability, concealability, and firepower. As for accuracy, I am unconcerned about group size on a gun to be used at 15'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best Kydex IWB out there is made by http://www.sidearmor.net, Great customer service as well. If you want to see pics of my G36 IWB go here:
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/glock2336/

On 2001-05-23 14:40, emclain wrote:
I agree totally about the grip. I've been carrying a G36 off-duty for about 3 months now, and I'm in love with it. Now that summers coming on here in the Midwest, I need to get a good IWB holster for it (any suggestions). It's been totally reliable and more accurate than I'll be under stress. I would like to see someone take a sander to the frame, though and get rid of the finger grooves and the "humped" back strap.

Eric

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"The best Kydex IWB out there is made by http://www.sidearmor.net, Great customer service as well."

I am glad that you have had good luck with Sidearmor, as I know of people who haven't. There are other makers out there who use natural or kydex materials that have excellent quality, comfort, and customer service.

In kydex, I wouldn't use IWB at all, but that is just my opinion, as many people swear by it. I prefer that kydex rigs be used for OWB applications. Admittedly, I have some kydex IWB rigs for my Glocks, and the one I most frequently used before getting the leather VM-2 from Milt Sparks is from Hoffner's.

JMHO

·
Registered
580 Posts
Had one of those "fasionable" side armor's with the "Gimmick Graphics" for a Glock. It proved totally unsatisfactory. Very sharp unfinished edges everywhere {cut up a good leather belt}, way to thick for Kydex, unacceptable & cheesy belt loop design {one side was 1 1/2", other 1 1/4"}, tension screws would not stay in adj. A G34 started peeling long thin strips of Kydex from inside the thing 2 hrs. into a two-day 18 hr.+ Handgun Course, etc., etc. There are Kydex holsters priced @ $35-45 that are sight out of mind better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From reading your post Pistolero I know not to take your word for anything. My Holster has NO sharp edges, Doesn't have a mismatched belt loop and the tension screws hold perfectly w/ the rubber bushing's tension like it's supposed to. I get nothing from endorsing them, I just give my truthful experience whenever I can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not to change the subject...ahem...

I submit that the kydex from Comp-Tac.com is as good as any and much better than most. I'll admit that personal preference and opinon will win the day, so sometimes suggestions are not given much thought. In such cases, it's advisible to stick with what you know is good for you. In any case, give it a look, give the guy a call. The service can't be beat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts