Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months ago I bought a BCP 1911 in 9x23. At the time, I had no experience with the cartridge, but had read much that sounded positive. Although no round count has been kept, my best guess is about 3,000-3,500 rounds have been fired through it by me. The pistol has been kept moderately clean, with one new recoil spring and a couple of new buffers put in along the way. I almost hesitate to admit the pistol has functioned flawlessly, as my fear of Mr. Murphy appearing while bragging is constant. But, the pistol has functioned flawlessly, not a single jam, with Wilson 38 Super mags.

This past weekend I traded into an unfired and unaltered Colt 9x23. While it is comparing an apple to an orange, the Colt has many obvious differences when compared to the BCP.

So far as fit and finish go, if the BCP is a stealth fighter, the Colt is a garage built kit plane. But, one would expect that from a gun costing a multiple of another, or at least should expect that...so I pretty much just overlooked that.

Performance: As noted above, the BCP has functioned flawlessly, rain or shine, clean or dirty...still chunking spent brass 6-8 feet to the right and slightly to the rear. After cleaning the Colt, putting a couple rounds through it, cleaning it again, then a couple of mags, cleaning it again, 200 rounds were put down range. Would like to chalk the 5 or 6 jams up to the Colt being new...but only more use will tell if that is reasonable. Perhaps the jams were related to the Colt mags, dunno. At 25-30 yards, the BCP will group a cloverleaf; the Colt, eyeball estimate is a few inches.

Today I will take the Colt out again. Then, it will get shipped to Dane. While not a bad pistol [and had at a great price :grin: ], it is just remarkably different from the BCP, in every important aspect. In short, I had no fun shooting the Colt, more like intersting work. With the BCP I fear running out of ammo. :lol:

After shooting stock Colt against the BCP, let me tell those on the fence...it is worth the price you pay for a custom. Really, it is. Doesn't mean you need 30 custom pistols, or even 2, but save the money you would spend on cigars, beer, and cable television and find yourself a good 'smith that will deal honestly with you. Then buy one pistol where a single person puts his reputation on the line to make the thing right. Even to a ******* like me, the differences are dramatic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bruce, I envy you. Dane is building a twin to my 45 in 9x23. It will look just like the 45 with the ivory grips that David DiFabio thinks will be his. He doesn't have a chance in hell in getting that pistol. I feel the same way you do about how these guns feel and function. Anyway, enjoy and when I get mine, I'll pick your brain for loads.

Jack

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JackB...that will be an awesome set of twins!

For loads, Dane is cooking a heavy bullet load up that sounds like the cat's meow.

Winchester white box ammo is awesome, and hot. Friend chrono'd some out of his comped race gun at 1525-1550. Have not put mine through a chrono, but it is deadly accurate, and, at under $10 a box of 50 bought by the case, a veritable bargain compared to other calibers. Winchester also makes the Silvertip in 9x23, but boy, I love the white box stuff. If you need a source for it when you take delivery of your 9x23, let me know.

G

·
On 2001-07-16 12:25, JackB wrote:
It will look just like the 45 with the ivory grips that David DiFabio thinks will be his. He doesn't have a chance in hell in getting that pistol.
Jack,
Expressed or implied it was not an offer to purchase your pistol.
Actually if I chose to own one I would, as far as I know Dane is still a pistol maker/gunsmith and he still builds 1911s to spec.

As with all things the next great pistol is only around the corner, it was only a positive comment on Danes excellent work nothing more.

I am glad that you like the photos of your pistol and wish you the best of luck with it.

G

·
Bruce,
I would submit that choosing to own a BCP 1911 in 9x23 makes you pretty smart.

How about posting some pics of it in the 9x23 section?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.