Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at these two pistols as Limited-10/CDP candadates. How does the Rock River stack up against the Wilson? I lean in the direction of the Limited Match because of price and features; however, the wait is 1 year and I have never even seen, much less fired, a gun from RRA. Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The few RRA pistols I've seen, I would buy. OTOH, I really like my Wilson Protector. If ordering, I'd go with Wilson's new fixed sights and use the $$ saved for upgrading to the tool-steel hammer and sear. If you even THINK that you may want/need an ambi. safety. Order it from the factory on the gun. If you're left-handed, specify the s/s Competition safety with the paddles trimmed down to match the standard r/h-only safety for your left thumb. Have the off-side trimmed any way you like. (I had mine done the same on both sides.) Regards, Andy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't comment on the Wilson, but I did go over to the Rock River Arms place and I liked what I seen and how i was treated and ordered a Basic Limited with options, I am calling this week and up greading to a Limited if the timing is not to late. I have not shot one myself but have heard good thing about them. The wait is about 9 mo. now that is going to make for a very long winter, but a very happy spring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't comment on the Wilson's, but 2 very good shooting friends of mine have RRA's, 2 38 supers and one .45. I have handled and shot them all and in my humble opinion they are simply outstanding. Everything is right on them, and one of the supers has over 30K rounds fired and it is still nice and tight, and shoots like a champ. I'll be placing an order shortly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hobbes,

I guess I'm in the opposite camp -- I can't comment directly on RRA's, though everything that I have heard about them has been favorable.

On the other hand, I do own a Wilson Classic, and it strikes me as an exceedingly hard act to follow. What's more, I think that any price differential would be more than offset (in Wilson's favor) by their outstanding customer service policy.

I suspect that these two pistols may be more alike than they are different, and either way, I see you getting everything you pay for and more. All things being equal, however, I think I would still opt for the Wilson.

Chuck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hobbes

I guess I would have to second stormmaster. I have a Wison CQB and love it. The RR's are nice to so I would think it would come down to which one you like best.

Wilson's customer service policy is second to none.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aside from Wilson's customer service is their lifetime warranty. That can mean a lot to someone. Not that RRA does not stand behind their product, but they have not been around as long as Wilson and have a long time to go before assuring they will be around for a while.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just received a limited match from Allan Yoast. Fit and finish is first rate. The polishing on the slide is comparable to a custom gun. Their melt job is very smooth but leaves the look intact. All first rate parts used both internal and external. I only was able to put one mag through the gun while dove hunting this weekend. Seven different types of hollowpoints were used with no problems.

I will be shooting it this week and will have a more extensive report on function. Overall, the gun looks to me to be a step above the other semi custom guns that are available today. It has a custom feel that my wilsons don't have.

Just an opinon.

Jack

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really appreciate all your replies. It looks as if I can't go wrong either way. I have a Wilson and have no complaints with them; but, the RRA is very tempting. As you can see I'm still thinking ... Take care.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ordered a Rock River Arms Elite Commando (5" bb) with the top and rear of the slide serrated. I'll let everyone know how I like it when it arrives in January. Sam :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-09-11 19:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-09-11 19:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I went and did it. I ordered the Wilson 2-tone Classic with hard chrome lower (instead of SS), blended mag well, ambi thumb safety, and a white dot front sight. I was told that it would be six months and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.:grin: Take care all!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dr. D:
Congratulations on your decision to get the Wilson, you won't regret it. Lester just received his Rock and it took him just about a year. When deer season is over and he'll come back to shoot IPSC, ask him to show you the Rock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr.T:
Knowing Lester, until the end of Deer season is just long enough for the gun to be so "boogered up" that it will be well niegh unrecognizable.:smile: It won't keep him from shooting straight though I'm sure. Take care.
Mr.M

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mr. M aka Dr. D aka Hobbes:
The Molester said he's so busy with work that he hasn't shot the Rock yet! Can you believe that. But I guarantee that when he does shoot it, he'll shoot those cherry bomb loads and that will loosen the gun in 20 rounds.:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.