Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a political question, or maybe I just don't get it.

I understand that Bill Wilson helped create (or did create) IDPA after tiring of the equipment race in IPSC. I can appreciate that, and I enjoy IDPA (and IPSC too). I also understand creating the KZ45 pistol. It uses popular polymers and is built around a 10-round magazine (this country's legal limit for new pistols), so it makes sense.

It would make sense to me, that the KZ45 would be a great IDPA gun too. 10+1 rounds of .45 in a 1911-type of platform -- sounds pretty good, right? BUT, being a .45, the KZ is classed in the CDP(custom defense pistol) division where the maximum loaded capacity is 8+1. What gives??? Does a competitor with a KZ have to download his mags? Did Bill Wilson inadvertantly create a gun that could start an equipment race in IDPA? :???:

Ironically, with USPSA's Limited 10 division, does the KZ45 have a better home in IPSC than IDPA?

I guess Para Ordnance pistols can fall in this trap too, but the KZ was created after IDPA, and it seems like the two don't fit somehow...

·
Registered
274 Posts
The dominant pistol in CDP is the single stack 1911. Bill sure sells a lot of them as well. To use the KZ in IDPA a competitor would have to download his mags. But they have to do that in ESP and SSP to 10+1 as well. I think he is just trying to come up with another product to sell, not so much create an equipment race within IDPA.

Another point to consider, STI came out with its Trojan. A single stack .45 with a bushing barrel just to compete in IDPA. Right now, do not know about the future, it is the shooter that makes the difference, not what he shoots. Let's hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Good point about the KZ. Even though it would have be downloaded in CDP, I think a fat gun will beat a Single Stack if reload times are a consideration. But,,,, IDPA isn’t a game so ignore the above.

I have yet to touch, much less shoot a KZ, but they might be OK in USPSA L-10. Although the hot tip is to just download your STI/SV fat gun to 10 rounds, a-la Avery. Strange Ron is shooting Open this year at our state match...

On 2001-05-11 10:25, John Forsyth wrote:
Right now, do not know about the future, it is the shooter that makes the difference, not what he shoots. Let's hope it stays that way.
It was and always will be the shooter who makes the difference.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have shot a KZ 45 in IDPA, and yes, you have to download the mags. No big deal. I didn't buy the gun to 'get an edge in competition'. I bought it because I was intrigued by the idea of a STURDY 1911 design with a polymer lower to reduce weight, and by the external 'claw' extractor. It wouldn't have bothered me one bit if it would have just taken standard 1911 mag's[ as a matter of fact, I probally would prefer it!]. I think Bill was just trying to design a better mouse trap, time will tell if it is, but right now, I like the gun alot!

As to the KZ-45 being better in competition, due to reloads......it may be the reverse. In IDPA as you know, we do quite a few 'tactical reloads'. I find the wider mag MORE difficult to deal with when trying to manipulate 2 in my hand at once. I seems to have a lower 'crash and burn factor' doing a Tac Reload with a single stack gun. My Slide Lock Speed reloads are pretty slick with the KZ45 tapered mag though!

I'm trying to decide between my CQB or my KZ45 for IDPA now. More range time and dryfire practice, and then I'll run the classifier stages with both. Either way, I think my equipemnt will be ok :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts