Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a revelation. I tried the much praised Wilson mags in another gun, since they seem to work well in my Baer Premier II (and McCormicks don't), and noted that the Wilsons didn1t kick the slide stop fully up into the notch on the slide on the other gun. The McCormick Power Mags and my Ed Browns make the stop fully engage in both guns, when the slide locks back on an empty mag (dry practice, not live fire). What the heck? I also noted that the slide stop is just starting to peen the corner of the slide stop notch on my Baer Premier II, because the slide stop is only catching the corner of the notch, not fully engaging. Could it be that the springs in the Wilsons aren1t strong enough? The McCormick Power Mags seem to work great, so I'm anxious to see their reliablity with live ammo. I'm also going to call Wilson, and find out what the the story is. They don't make the slide stop fully engage in TWO of my guns... doesn1t seem like a coincidence. I'm beginning to like the Power Mags for more than just price. Would +10% springs help in the Wilsons? I'm gonna call them. Anyone here have a similar experience, or vote for the McCormicks?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hey, dude! Still playin' with AK's? Me too. I'm a big fan of Power Mags. Like many others here, I've experienced complete reliability with them, enjoy the pricing, and like as little plastic in any gun component as I can get. BTW, anyone know if a metal Wilson base plate will fit on a Power Mag? And yes, my Wilsons have also proven utterly reliable. :smile:

I spent some time recently with one of the big names in the professional shooting sports, who relayed having problems with the Wilson mags' feed lips spreading apart with lots of use, allowing the feeding round to nose up as it exits the mag. Although this guy uses Wilson mags extensively, he favored the Power Mag body design, as he found it more resistant to this deformation of the lips. Supposedly, Wilson is coming out with a new design mag with a body similar to the Power Mag. Interesting.

G

·
I use the Wilson's in .45 and .38 Super/9x23 and the McCormicks in 10mm and I like them both.
FWIW,
Some time back Teddy Jacobson did post on the weakness of the Wilson springs and his advice was to change them with Wolff XP springs and to use the 7rd .45 mags as the 8rd mags have very thin springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah I remember that David...He also mentioned how to put some life back into those older springs...Can't remember the forum it was posted in though...Search time!

Here's the link to the thread with the spring info...

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... 27&start=0

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-07-12 15:42 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.