Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with a FTF problem with my Wilson Protector! It happens with 200SWC H&G #68 style bullets. OAL set at 1.250. The finished product measures .469 at the crimp. All ammo loaded on a Dillon RL550B.

It happens with either the first or second round out of a Wilson 8 round mag. It sort of just "stovepipes" instead of chambering! I talked to John (service rep) today, and he is sending me two more magazines to try.

Have any of the rest of you experienced this type of thing? Should I just stick with the 7 round mags? Should I change the OAL to 1.255, and give that a try? What the heck should I do to eliminate this type of thing? NEED YOUR COMMENTS, PLEASE! I am very frustrated and disappointed right now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kshutt on 2001-10-20 14:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Whoa HOSS!

...When did this start and try to give us a lil' background...YOWSA!!!

I know how frazzed ya' can get when somethin' as important as this goes bye-bye on ya'...Just give a lil' more info and maybe someone can help...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The H&G 68 at the specs you describe should be one of the most reliable loads in a 1911. Good news is Wilson is big on fixing things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kshut,
I also have a Dillon RL550B and used to load 200 grain H&G #68 lead bullets. I've found that with both those and Hornady 200 grain FMJCT that a setting of 1.240-1.245 works best. If you're going to set the length to 1.250, I recommend that you make sure to set the crimp to .469. I had some misfeeds with a crimp of .473-.474 (When in doubt, follow the instructions in the book.). My misfeeds were with a CQB Compact.

My two favorite target bullets are the Hornady 200 grain FMJCT and 185 grain Remington MC's.

By the way, are you saving a lot of money reloading? I'm not...I just shoot more. But, I sure enjoy it.

Dennis D. Carter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis D. Carter on 2001-10-20 06:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know you said stovepipes but you may want to check the bullet size for a .452 in diam. Another issue to check would be to mic a completed reload to see if its within spec for the entire length. Check the brass following station one to see if the resize is OK. In my opinion you seem to have expected values of OAL 1.250, crimp .469 to .470. Buy a box of winchester .45's, the white box and see how you do. Hope this helps, at the very least we all will tell you enough to keep you busy!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...Geez, I don't know. That combo works perfect for me. I guess the only question I'd have is the same as some of the others. What are you winding up with at the crimp? For sure as shootin', that combo with all bullet shapes and types and diameters within spec shoots like a house afire for me...

BTW...Dennis! I love those Hornadys too!!! That was a lark for me just buyin' these FMJCT...Sure glad I tried them though....Same here...little savings but more ammo and more shootin'...It's worth it!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
On 2001-10-20 14:10, gyp_c2 wrote:
...Geez, I don't know. That combo works perfect for me. I guess the only question I'd have is the same as some of the others. What are you winding up with at the crimp? For sure as shootin', that combo with all bullet shapes and types and diameters within spec shoots like a house afire for me...

BTW...Dennis! I love those Hornadys too!!! That was a lark for me just buyin' these FMJCT...Sure glad I tried them though....Same here...little savings but more ammo and more shootin'...It's worth it!!
Let me know if you know of a place that will sell the Hornady's in bulk (1,000 or more). The only place I know of is Widener's and their service has gotten terrible.

Also, try out the Remington's. They're pretty good, too.

Dennis D. Carter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.