Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through the Wilson website while making arrangements to send my CQB compact back for refinishing when I found the Protector model.

The thought occured to me that I do not currently and have never owned one and it would be a sharp pistol with an Alessi shark skin GWH holster so I bought/ordered one, it should be in on Friday afternoon.

Do any of you own one and if so, what do you like, dislike etcetera?

What have you changed on it or what just did not feel right to you?

· Registered
144 Posts
David,
I have a Protector, which started out as a two-tone piece (Armor Tuff over hard chrome). I bought it used from a guy who abused the pistol cosmetically but it function reliably and shoot accurately. I shot it awhile then I sent the slide to Wilson to have it hard chrome. They did it free of charge. While the slide was there, I asked them to replace the old #367 sights with the new #463 (Novak lookalike). I replaced the ambidextrous safety with a single sided Colt non-extended variety and got rid of the one piece long guide rod with a standard GI rod and plug. The previous owner installed a mag well chute, I decided to leave it there. It's a very nice pistol and I would buy another. David, I understand that you'll be taking the Ken Hackathorn class in Atlanta, I will let you see the Protector when you get here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ricky,
Thanks for the feedback, and yes I will be attending the Atlanta course.

I belive it is time for me to get out, get some instruction and make sure I can still hit the target.
I just hope the Wilson does it's job and makes me look like I can shoot. :smile:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buzz,
Actually if you must know I bought four pistols, two rifles, and one shotgun as I was feeling rather depressed over my wrist injuries.

Oh, and that does not include the two pistols Terry Peters shipped me this week.

And the three coming from this weeks issue of gun list.

Oh, not to forget George at EGW (especially when he waited for me) as I picked up three of my guns on Friday evening before I went to the range and ordered two Taurus titanium revolvers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-14 20:24 ]</font>

· Registered
268 Posts
David,
I recently purchased a stainless Protector through Terry Peters. I love it, but I'm just a lil kid so I probably don't know crap about fine firearms :smile:

At first I didn't like the sight picture, but it's growing on me now. Didn't like the grips but I didn't plan on using them anyway so that wasn't a big deal. The trigger on the other hand kindof bummed me out, it's a light pull but I can feel juuust a bit of take up and I really don't like that
( nobody else seems to be able to feel it though so maybe I'm just a snob )

The checkering was fantastic I couldn't find any flaws whatsoever. The finish was quite nice other than everyone touching it with their grubby ass hands.

All in all I love the gun, it doesn't jam and the POI is the same as the POA so what more could I ask for.
Sorry for being so long winded about it :smile: I just love the gun. THANKS AGAIN TERRY!!

· Registered
185 Posts
Finally got some time and my internet service is working for a little while.

David. Got the pics I emailed to you finally straightened out.

The difference in the Protector, and the CQB is primarily cosmetic and a guide rod.

Green/black armor tuff and the laminate wood grips.

Black armortuff, coco bolo grips and guide rod.

The catalog lists a different sear I believe but a phone call to Wilson and I was told that was a typo as the bulletproof parts are in the stainless guns.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
272 Posts
I have a Protector w/the new-style tritium sights. It is my most oft-carried 1911, mainly due to the Armor-Tuf finish. I haven't had any problems with the finish - yet. Had a couple of hiccups with WW 185-gr STHPs in the first 100 rounds, but has been 100 per cent with everything since: WW, S&B, Federal, and PMC ball, 230-gr. Fed. HS, my 200-gr. H&G #68 LSWC reloads, and STHPs. I use both old and new Wilson 8-rd. magazines, as well as some Kimber factory mags. Hope you like yours as well I do mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still waiting guys,
I was told it shipped on Friday, I will keep you posted.

Terry,
I got the pics, check your email :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It came in on Tuesday, it is nicely done and the fit/finish look good but alas, no range or weight room time for me for at least the next two weeks as I am recovering from wrist surgery.
I will hopefully get to the range soon as I also have a lot of gelatin testing to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.