Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wilson catalog here and it does not say anything about selling the slide with the external extractor, yet it can be used on a single stack because they built one that's featured in the July 2000 issue of Handguns magazine. Has anyone inquired to Wilson Combat about buying one of these slides for building a custom gun?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting. I guess my question now is: If the external extractor is a better thing, then why isn't it more popular with the custom buliders? Byron, thanks for the info. I'll check out Storm Lake.

Neal

·
Registered
205 Posts
I remember reading a long post by Larry Vickers on another forum, where he stated that he believes there are several key weaknesses in the 1911 design, one being the staked-on plunger tube and another being the extractor. I think most gunsmiths are more familiar with traditional extractors, so they stick with them. But my opinion is that an external extractor has to be more reliable over the long haul, because you aren't depending on a piece of spring steel to hold its shape forever. Most other pistol designs use the external extractor. Critics of my theory will say that these other pistols have this design because it is cheaper to manufacture, not because it is better. To them I ask "have you ever seen a SIG need to have it's extractor adjusted?".

While external extractors are not 100% failproof either, I think it is a more durable design. On a standard 1911, if you did something wrong like place a round in the chamber by hand and then let the slide slam home on that round, causing the extractor to be forced over the rim of the cartridge, you will damage your extractor tension. There was an article in the USPSA Front Sight magazine a few months ago about the Storm Lake external extractor and the author stated that they performed this kind of abusive torture test with the external extractor and it never lost tenstion and never caused a problem.

I also know from personal experience with my guns that I have had to tweak 1911 extractors on more than one occasion. I have never had to touch the extractor on my Glock, my Beretta or my Browning Hi Power, all external designs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Wilson KZ-45 slide is not made by Storm lake, according to Storm lake. There are some cosmetic differences if you compare them side to side.

I have a KZ-45, and a Wilson CQB with the spring loaded extractor. I like it. After a bit of warranty tweaking on the KZ (mine was number 12 made) It runs flawlessly. So does my CQB. The neatest thing is that they both put the brass in a very consistent little pile.

They will build you a custom Single stack if you ask real nice $$ with the KZ Slide. You just have to put up with the round serrations, versus the square cut serrations of the normal CQB (cosmetic gripe).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary,
I went to the Caspian site and looked on the "slides" page and did not see anything about it. Can you give us more details? Same price?

Thanks,
Neal

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2001-10-15 16:02, GrandmasterB wrote:
I did find the new link to Storm Lake's website:

http://www.stormlakemachine.8m.com

Here you can see the slides with the external extractors and other nifty things...
Hey thanks. I searched for a long time and could not find a link that worked. I can see the Storm Lake slide is not the same one as used on the Wilson KZ-45.

Neal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.