Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I understand it correctly Wilson Combat recommends S&B 230 gr. ball ammo for use in thier 1911's. Fair enough, but does anyone know why that is there choice (if indeed it is)? Second question, I usually shoot winchester white box 230 gr. ball for practice. I did realize that I was doing that mainly based on the fact that to me it "looked" like good ammo. But, not being a reloader, at least I was smart enough to know that I really don't know. So, it is my hope that someone more knowledgeable than myself can cast some light on this for me. What kinds of ball ammo are good for a person who doesn't reload. Also, I normally carry the gun with ball, so I am looking for something that will be reliable. Comments?
Thank you. Jake

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wilson's recommends S&B ammo because it is extremely inexpensive, yet very reliable. However, any FMJ ammo from the big three, Remington, Olin/Winchester, and Blount(Federal, CCI, Speer) will work great.
A great place to shop: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clay on 2001-06-17 13:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
420 Posts
For carry purposes, Federal Classic 230gr. 45 auto Match is very good, but I have fired several thousand rounds of the aforementioned S&B ammo with excellent results. Not as clean shooting as the Federal Match load, but S&B ammo is sealed for water resistance.
Another excellent choice is military ball ammo. Federal G.I. ball is available from Natchez shooting supply, and the IMI G.I. ball is available from Cole Distributing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Jake, the S&B goes for something like $8.50 a box where the white box stuff goes for $13.50. I shoot S&B because it is cheap but I also reload which helps alot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
FYI: My Wilson Millenium Protector chokes on Speer's Lawman as well as Fiocci(hungarian lot). Niether are on the recommended list however and it does irk me that it won't digest all "good" ammo like my Kimber does at half the purchase price. :sad:
S&B works great in all the guns I've ever used it in(H&K USPcompact .45, Wilson, 1991a1, Kimber, AMTbu.45 and a bunch of others). :smile: I'm going to be sticking with S&B from now on as it's very accurate for the price as well. Tried lots of diffent stuff, surely not as many as others who post here, but enough to say that I like the S&B very much.

Eugene

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-06-17 14:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wilson DOES reccomend S&B. It is in the literature that comes with the gun.

I have seen several guns that are ammo picky. I don't understand how two guns made by the same company in the same way can manage not to work in the same manner, but it happens. Ammo is just one of those proving points.

Strangely, I have not shot S&B out of my CQBs. That being said, they have worked fine with Fiocchi (Hungarian) ball, Blazer ball, Speer Gold Dot 185 jhp, and Federal Hydrashok.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wilson sent me a box of S&B ball with my box of (strangely) useful promotional goodies. Works great. WW brass is hard to beat for reloading, but if you don't reload(??) I'd say the S&B in case lots is a "best buy". REgards, Andy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
How good is the S&B Brass, in terms of reloading? Thanks :smile:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've only been usin' it for 3mo, but it works just fine...Good after full-length resize and no wasted cases at all...They are at least good for a few reloads. I can't speak for it beyond that...No obvious problems...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just as a heads up for those of you who haven't heard...

http://www.outdoor-source.com is having a sale on .45 (and others) S&B. Case price comes out to about $7.50/box (1000 rds). I shop for S&B all the time because its cheap and I've had good luck with it, and this is about as cheap as I can remember seeing it. I bought 2000 rounds so far from them. Shipping is reasonable....about $15/case to ARK.

I don't reload so I couldn't say whether it makes for good RL brass or not.

Cheers!
Sam

BTW, the 9mm S&B is $5.00/box case price--I bought some of that too!!! God I'm glad its pay-day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jake asks:
does anyone know why that is there choice (if indeed it is)?
According to Wilson, the ogive on the S&B ammo is more pointed, and more closely resembles original GI ball. Many of the other ball ammos have a more rounded nose. He thinks the more pointed ogive is more feed reliable.

TB., NC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.