Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to IDPA rules competitors must start out with their guns loaded to capacity. In ESP it would be 10 in the mag and one in the pipe. So heres the problem. When using Wilson 38 super mags,for a 38 super or a 9x23,if you put 10 in the mag its very hard to seat the mag. Second, it puts so much pressure on the slide it can keep it from cycling (instant jam). The obvious answer is to only load 9, but thats not the rule. The guns are ESP with a power factor of 130 running 12-13lb. springs. Any suggestions or am I dreaming the impossible dream?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have found the guns (9x23 and 38 super) run best at 140 to 145 power factor. I also like the recoil plus better and I can run a 15 or 16 # spring in a 5" gun. I like the 115 gr bullets loaded to that power the best, but the 125s are a close second.

I use 38 Super mags by Wilson. The gun and mags have to be tuned well to seat a 10 round mag easily and still function with 100% reliability. I find that I well worn springs in the mag and avoid slide lock reloads is one way to handle it :smile: Not a problem for the street, sort of a problem depending on the COF designers in IDPA.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Dick Heinie is using and suggesting a 9 shot mag for 9x23 and 38 Super but I don't remember who's. Maybe he'll drop in and tell us?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dane, I guess loading 9 in the mags is the best solution and take my chances with the SO's. In the Wilson 8 round 45 mags theres enough room for 1/2 more shell which are still a little hard to seat but not impossible. The 38 mags are almost impossible to get the tenth round in let alone try to seat the mag on a tac reload. O Well I guess it will have to be 9.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you want 9 Rd. mags. in a 38 Super or 9X23, buy Metalform. I have used them and they work well. I have been using the Stainless with Rounded Followers. If you think the 10 Rd. Mags a hard to seat, fully load them and let them sit for a couple of days.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all, I'll look for the metalform mags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts