Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
A few months back I found a dealer running a special on Wolf 230gr ball, I ordered four cases for about $160 each with shipping. It functions fine and accuracy is "ok" but I have noted that it is fairly dirty/dusty, the muzzle flash is suprisingly low in comparsion to a few cases of CCI ball that I had. It functions fine out of my USC, USP, Glocks and my 1911's. As bargain priced ammo I think it is hard to beat. I've seen a case of 9mm for $75 recently.
FYI: I did notice that the cartridge cases are "oily" when you unwrap them, I believe it is some type of preservative.

·
Registered
503 Posts
On 2001-05-12 12:51, Hoser wrote:
Any good or bad feedback on Wolf Ammo?
I got some of the first to hit the shelves in Kentucky. It would not chamber in either my Kimber or a standard Colt MkIV. Perhaps they have changed it since the first few lots.

As an aside, steel cases seem to work OK in heavily tapered cases (9mm, .223 or 7.62 x 39) but steel has not traditionally worked in a slightly tapered case like the .45. Broken extractors were common with the old steel cased ammo produced at Evansville duriing WW II after the stuff got a little age on it. Perhaps the lacquer on the Russian ammo may help but I don't want steel cases in my 1911 or Glock (which chip extractors often anyway).

I really like the stuff in .223 but I have a Colt with an F.N. military upper that will not extract it (tight chamber) so I don't buy a hole lot... too bad the 62gr. JHP is a wonderful varmint round (perhaps not exceedingly accurate but adequate).

Food for thought,
Jim H.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hmmm, thanks for your reply, Jim. Cheaper Than Dirt has their Wolf .45 on sale for about $50 a half case, so I bought 500 rounds just to see what it was like. Couldn't pass it up at that price.

I bought it to run through my new Kimber Royal. I'll post a report when I've had a chance to test drive it.

Glad I didn't buy two or three cases.

Chad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts