Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's using Wolf ammo? I'm curious as to the effects of the steel case on extractors, etc. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com has the .40 cal. stuff for $6.49 a box, and the .45 cal. goes for $6.59 a box or $59.97 for 500 rounds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm currently playing with a half-case of Wolf .45. I'm not real impressed so far. I found the same special at Cheaper Than Dirt and thought it sounded good, so I took the plunge. Fortunately I went with a half case rather than a full case.

Could just be that my Kimber doesn't like the stuff, but I've had a couple of failures to extract, leading to double-feeds. One was during our post IDPA steel shoot. It's a real bitch when your gun jams during a shoot-off for top spot and money is on the line :roll:.

I'm going to shoot up the rest of the Wolf and see if it gets any better, but I'm sticking with S&B from now on. Nearly as cheap, good brass and it goes bang every time.

Chad

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just finished the last box of 500 rounds. Roughly half went through a Kimber Custom Classic with a Kart match barrel and bushing and the remainder went through a RRA Standard Match- also with a Kart barrel. 3 failures to feed out of 500- all with the RRA, all last round in mag, all at same range session firing one hand only, weak handed. I'd never really tried to shoot left-handed and my 'tentative' grip was to blame... (either that or my thong was riding up on me...)

It is dirty and a little smelly (the ammo, not the thong!!), but it feeds and fires reliably. Accuracy was MORE than adequate for practice ammunition. I experienced no FTE or other difficulties with the laquered cases and empties ejected consistantly. My experience with .45 is limited, but I have shot reloads that lacked- how do I say it... "oomph" and this 'feels' like full-power ammo.

Overall, I am very satisfied and intend to order a full case from CTD. For those of us that do not reload, it seems to be a very economical source for factory FMJ ball.

Thanks,

Waldo

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ran 1000 9mm's throught my G17 without a cleaning. All went bang, and accuracy was more than adaquate.

I'm kinda addicted to wolf, don't have to pick up the brass.

Someone at my club told me he's trying to figure out how to use an electromagnet to police the brass. I've seen them work at junkyards when they sorted the brass I recycle, but that is one honkin big magnet that isn't exactly portable.

Ted

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmmm, I may have to give the Wolf a try in my Glock. Might have an easier time of it there. The Kimber is new to me, so I'm not sure what its likes and dislikes are.

And, yup, the Wolf is plenty hot. During the steel shoot where my gun jammed, the Wolf ammo was dinging the hinged plates so hard that they were rebounding off their posts and resetting themselves :grin:.

Chad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought 250 rounds recently of the Wolf in .45 auto. Only problem I had is that the slide failed to lock back on the last round almost every time. I used it as practice, and to keep myself from relying on the slide locking back to tell me that it's time to reload.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone try any of the .40 Wolf ammo yet?

I'm wondering if the steel case is harmful to the extractor, etc. I've fired a few hundred rounds of the stuff with no noticble problems, but what would a steady diet of this stuff do?

·
Registered
663 Posts
That which I have used sofar, 9mm, has been just fine. Have used some other Russian ammo, Barnaul, in .223-- 55 gr. SPs and 62 FMJ's. Not esp. accurate, but seemingly as good as any milsurp stuff with the exception that the 62 grain load seems a little weak. Have heard other reports, though, that the laquered cases can glue themselves in to a very hot chamber. I don't get that rat-a-tatty with my guns I guess, so never had the problem.

The Barnaul hollow points in 9mm Mak are very good, and give textbook mushrooming in water despite the steel jacket, if that means anything (gifts of ballistic gelatin now being accepted).

Waldo, please edit out the part about the thong before I have nightmares :smile:!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-08-11 20:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fired 250 rounds of the .40 S&W ammo today with excellent results. I used two Glock 23's, accuracy was good, and the ammo was reliable, although a bit dirty.
http://www.ammoman.com $69 for 500 rounds shipped.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Had a report from John Farnham that the steel cases are causing probs with extractors in many pistols. I want to think there should be no such effect but he certainly sees more of this kind of thing than most of us, so I have to figure the info is good.

We did load .45 ACP in steel cases in this country during WWII-- I have fired maybe 1,000 rounds of it, no prob, and early in my reloading career, I even reloaded them. Most of the Wolf steel-cased 9mm I have used was in my K9, but that has been 400 or fewer rounds.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ned Christiansen on 2001-08-27 20:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
A review in Gun Tests magazine Annual Buying Guide of a 9mm Baby Eagle stated that the Wolf steel casings would not only harm the extractor and ejector as they are harder than brass, but that they might also accelerate breechface wear and effect the timing of the action because the timing is based on the brass expanding. Has anyone had these problems?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well, I just assumed that anyone named Waldo would not be a woman, but maybe I was jumping to conclusions. Now that you mention it, and the way you have worded it, guess I don't really care WHAT her name is!

A few correction on my above post. I went to retrieve some more Wolf ammo the other day and find that I have less left than I thought, meaning that I have put more like 1,200 rounds of it through my K9 and MK9, probably at a 10:1 ratio. And the above mentioned Russian steel-cased .223 55 grain SP's are 62 grain SP's. Some guys are saying the Russian .223 with its laquered case will stick in a very hot chamber as the laquer heats up and turns to goo. Sounds believeable, but what about all those unstoppable AK's churning out the same laquered ammo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got 1/2 a dozen boxes of WOLF in .45 ACP for $5 a box, so it is ok for practicing, but it is causing me some issues too. I am putting it through my H&K USP 45 full size, and this is the only one of the 5 different brands of ammo that is causing me issues. There have been several rounds that will not come completely out of the magazine right to let the slide come completely into battery. After looking closely at a couple that did that, I discovered that the red goo that they put around the bullet to seal it to the steel casings is my probable culpret. The HK is built to pretty tight tollerances, and there is very little slop like in an old 1911, and all the ones that were jamming it up had an excess of the red sealant globed on the outside of the casing, and I think it was just enough to not let the round turn the corner into the breach. So when I went through each round going into the magines one at a time with my thumb nail and scraped off the excess sealant, they chambered and fired fine. Needless to say, once I burn this stuff up, I won't be buying any more.
LionHeart!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have run several thousand rounds of Wolf through my AR15 and have had zero problems with it. I haven't tried any 45ACP yet. Not sure if I will. The Kimber is still new and I want her to eat only the good stuff. Now in my 9mm, I can see me running Wolf through it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I shoot 7.62 and 5.45 Wolf ammo through my 'disposable' AK's/SKS's, but have a hard time imagining pumping steel cases through a match barreled 1911. Especially true when you consider that reloadable S&B in 45acp can be had for $169/1000!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The bi-metal is steel jacketed and will cause more barrel wear than copper jacketed.

Straight from the Wolf's mouth via [email protected] :

The WOLF 7.62x39 comes in Hollow Point, and Full Metal Jacket. Each of these can be either Bi-metal, or copper. They are distinguishable by the boxes that they come in. The copper jacketed 7.62x39 box is almost half yellow, where the Bi-metal jacketed 7.62x39 box is completely black.

WOLF's Bi-metal ammunition has a copper and steel mixed jacket instead of a jacket entirely made of copper. Unlike copper jacketed ammunition, Bi-metal ammunition will accelerate barrel wear. You will begin to see some barrel wear using the Bi-metal jacketed ammunition after about 5-6K rounds.

Thanks for your inquiry and interest in WOLF Performance Ammunition.

Sincerely,

WOLF Ammo

·
Registered
26 Posts
dpcdivr, where are you finding the S+B ammo for $169/1000? cheaper than dirt has them for $179 but is out of stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.