Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Wolff web site (http://www.gunsprings.com) shopping for springs, while there I noticed that they are now selling 1911 mags. Any one have experience with them? Who really makes them? Are they any good? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't used any yet. I plan to buy some soon. I spoke with the owner of Wolff. He stated the magazines were made at the request of the FBI because they were having problems with Wilson 8 rounders. The magazines are Metalform bodies, Wolff springs, and I believe a proprietary follower.

Given Wolff's reputation, I believe the mags are worth a try.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-10-08 16:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the fortune of living and working within ten minutes of Wolff's. His 1911 mags have work flawlessly for me so far, in a CAC Colt Carry-comp, a stock Kimber, and a Springfield "Loaded". The mags are 7-rounders with stainless bodies, lower side of the mag marked with Wolff's logo, and feature a large black polymer bumper. I drop by Wolff's on a regular basis on and off-duty. Aside from offering great products, all the staff there are truely friendly, knowledgeable, decent people.
Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've tried them with ball amd Win 230 JHP in my Kimber custom and Ed Brown Kobra. No problems. Thye follower is metal. Tha basepad is about 1/2 inch thick. Not much else to say: they work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently spent a minor fortune and purchased sample lots of various magazines- Chip McCormick, Wilson, Metalform, and Wolff, and compared them to some "tuned" magazines I had for specific guns.
Overall I think they were all nice (see I am trying not to diss anyone),but in the end I will stick with the Metlaforms I acquired, and trade off the others at shows.
The Wolffs are also outstanding, but I got a good deal on a lot order of ten of the metalforms, mix and match, and ordered some wolff springs to install in them, so I am 99% of the way there anyway! (although I will hang on to those Wolff mags also)
Some brands like the shooting star are at every gun shop I go to, and Wilsons are very high profile in publications and folks like Dillion sells them, but for me the metalforms functioned flawlessly in all of my 45s. The out of pocket expense of purchasing the various mags was a drag, but I am really happy now that I did it, and got to actually test the compatibility of the magazines to the guns...

To me the Wolff is nice, but it cost more than the Metalform that is just about the same mag. I went one direction, getting Metalforms and adding Wolff springs, while one could go another tack and just get Wolff mags with metalform bodies and thier springs. If I was purchasing to make a "selling package" I would most likely get the wolffs just for their name on the shell, but for plain everyday carry use the metalforms are just fine.
That said, first thing I do with any new gun mags I get is install wolff springs- I trust and like them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.